Sometimes can't launch from station

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Sometimes can't launch from station

Post by CmdrLUke »

This happened about 3 times to me yesterday: I would enter the station, do my business, then with I hit F1 to launch, instead I got the "forward view" like I was already flying in space. Similarly sometimes for F2, F3, and F4 they would show views instead of space station functions. The only way to fix it that I've found is to exit oolite and restart. Thankfully the corruption is not in the save file! But I would lose recent progress since it's impossible to save without the "2" function.

I've also noticed that launching from a station now that I'm flying a Python Class Cruiser usually takes about 4 seconds from the time I press F1 until I get squirted out into space. Normally this happens in under a second.

I'm running oolite pc 1.71.2 have these OXPs installed:

AsteroidStorm.oxp
behemoth 2.4.oxp
black_baron.oxp
buoyRepair1.01.6.oxp
Fuel Tank v2.2.oxp
Galactic_Navy.oxp
impcourier2.oxp
localhero_1_05.oxp
longway.oxp
Mil-KleptoHud.oxp
newships.oxp
Ore_processor.oxp
Python Class Cruiser 2.6.oxp
RandomHits.oxp
RoC.oxp
Textures
tiger.oxp
UPS-courier v1.4.3.oxp
YOUR_AD_HERE.oxp
YOUR_AD_HERE_set_A.oxp
YOUR_AD_HERE_set_B.oxp
YOUR_AD_HERE_set_C.oxp
YOUR_AD_HERE_set_D.oxp
Zz-Oo-Haul.oxp
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I'd say your problem is the PCC.

While most ships are designed wide and not very tall to match the standard docking port, the PCC is taller than it is wide. Thusly why you have to dock it sideways.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Sometimes can't launch from station

Post by Commander McLane »

I don't really see how the above answer is related to the question, which wasn't about a problem with docking, but a problem with launching.
CmdrLUke wrote:
This happened about 3 times to me yesterday: I would enter the station, do my business, then with I hit F1 to launch, instead I got the "forward view" like I was already flying in space. Similarly sometimes for F2, F3, and F4 they would show views instead of space station functions. The only way to fix it that I've found is to exit oolite and restart. Thankfully the corruption is not in the save file! But I would lose recent progress since it's impossible to save without the "2" function.

I've also noticed that launching from a station now that I'm flying a Python Class Cruiser usually takes about 4 seconds from the time I press F1 until I get squirted out into space. Normally this happens in under a second.

I'm running oolite pc 1.71.2 have these OXPs installed:

AsteroidStorm.oxp
behemoth 2.4.oxp
black_baron.oxp
buoyRepair1.01.6.oxp
Fuel Tank v2.2.oxp
Galactic_Navy.oxp
impcourier2.oxp
localhero_1_05.oxp
longway.oxp
Mil-KleptoHud.oxp
newships.oxp
Ore_processor.oxp
Python Class Cruiser 2.6.oxp
RandomHits.oxp
RoC.oxp
Textures
tiger.oxp
UPS-courier v1.4.3.oxp
YOUR_AD_HERE.oxp
YOUR_AD_HERE_set_A.oxp
YOUR_AD_HERE_set_B.oxp
YOUR_AD_HERE_set_C.oxp
YOUR_AD_HERE_set_D.oxp
Zz-Oo-Haul.oxp
CmdrLUke, to me that sounds like you indeed weren't docked anymore, but had already launched, only that acidentally one of the F-screens was still being displayed.

This happens sometimes, when an OXP launches you immediatly again after docking. In that specific case the launch-sequence may be skipped, and you would still see the F5-screen, so you wouldn't be able to realize that you are actually floating in space again, until you press one of the F1-F4-keys.

The only thing I am not sure of is which of your OXPs would do that. I have scripted an event like this for the new Thargoidcarrier.oxp, but that isn't available yet, and I specifically addressed this problem, so you would get the complete launch-sequence, and the normal forward-view.

As for the second issue (a four-second hang between hitting the key and starting the launch-sequence) I have no idea. Might be one of your OXPs is extremely busy tying things up before you launch? (But that's a very wild guess.)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Sometimes can't launch from station

Post by Thargoid »

Commander McLane wrote:
As for the second issue (a four-second hang between hitting the key and starting the launch-sequence) I have no idea. Might be one of your OXPs is extremely busy tying things up before you launch? (But that's a very wild guess.)
I get that occasionally, and it is indeed due to memory swapping on the machine (in my case, as it's only an ickle laptop), and the hard-disk generally getting a good thrashing. It happens for me at random times whenever Oolite tries to go to the launch/witchspace tunnel. There's a few seconds delay whilst the PC gets its memory in order, presumably due to a screen mode change or somesuch.

The disc activity light is your man to look at here (if your PC has one).
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

After a reload of a saved game, some oxp's want to add ships of their own in the system. Most of hem do that on the first launch (e.g commies, dictators, buoy-repair etc). When you start in such a system it sometimes takes a few seconds, but that is only on the first launch. In al the other systems the things are added after the witch-space jump.

For buoy-repair I now experimented in adding the stuff earlier, on the "restart" event. (Before the first launch) But than you get the pause during the F5 screen where the computer does not react for a few seconds on key presses. I think this is worse and the next release will add the stuff on launch like the current version.