system.techLevel

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

system.techLevel

Post by Thargoid »

Not sure if this counts as a bug or just "something to remember".

Been working on Welcome.oxp's next version, and noticed that the data it posts up (which just commsMessage's system.techLevel to report the tech level) disagrees with the in-game screen (F7). That screen shows one higher value than system.techLevel does.

I know it's going to be one of those "counting starts at 0" cases, but just thought I'd flag it up as it's a little counter-intuitive...
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Adding something to the TL topic:

If a Tech level is defined for an entity like a station, that will work for the equipment screen, but make no difference for the shipyard (available ships).

That is something still not working in 1.71.2, and I would be very happy if this could be corrected.

8)

L
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: system.techLevel

Post by Commander McLane »

Thargoid wrote:
Not sure if this counts as a bug or just "something to remember".

Been working on Welcome.oxp's next version, and noticed that the data it posts up (which just commsMessage's system.techLevel to report the tech level) disagrees with the in-game screen (F7). That screen shows one higher value than system.techLevel does.

I know it's going to be one of those "counting starts at 0" cases, but just thought I'd flag it up as it's a little counter-intuitive...
Your diagnosis is already spot-on. So, to answer the question, it does not count as a bug. It's just as case of "If you're progamming/scripting on a computer, you better know the tools of the trade." :wink:

And before you come across other instances of "counting from zero": Every system-information-variable, if stored in a number, begins with ZERO. So it's not a techlevel-only thing.