Half Screen visible

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Spacetrader
Average
Average

Half Screen visible

Post by Spacetrader »

Hello, I`m new here and my own language is german, so excuse me if I use uncorrekt words or terms.

I have installed Oolite 1.65 on a Win XP Pro-System, but when I start, there will be only the left half of the display visible, the right one in the window is dark.
Is this a known bug or will I have to change something?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I get something similar on one of my XP systems, it relates to the available screen resolution for windows support compared with Oolite support (look in the first few lines of stderr.txt, you should see Oolite registering the problem and defaulting to a given resolution.

My issue is solved simply by minimising and then restoring the window (not close and open) once Oolite is running and displaying a partial screen.

That is on 1.71.2 (which I'd recommend you use rather than 1.65 for a better gaming experience), but I guess your mileage could be similar.

Oh, and welcome to the madhouse ;)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Do you happen to have an Intel graphics card? If yes, it is the usual case of cr... ehm, substandard Intel drivers. For now, you can resolve it as per Thargoid's method.
Spacetrader
Average
Average

Post by Spacetrader »

I`ve tried it with Thargoid`s method and now it works. And yes, it is a Intel graphic on a Laptop (so my son bored me for a long time for my old PC and I thought it is a good idea to buy a transportable system. Meanwhile I am not so sure any more).javascript:emoticon(':wink:')
How so ever, thanks a lot for your help, now I`ll go to train docking ...
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

It looks like Intel has enabled OpenGL 2.0 support with their latest drivers. I installed version 14.36.3.4990 (found here) on my laptop sporting a GM965 chipset and a) the missing part of the screen problem does not happen any more and b) finally, I can see shaders in OpenGL.

I would recommend to anyone with an Intel graphics card giving these latest drivers a try.
Spacetrader
Average
Average

Post by Spacetrader »

That`s it!! I have the same chipset and the new driver solved the problem. Thank you! Now I have to solve 2 others: 1. where is the station at Leesti, 2. my wife (she wants more of my time for the family) :roll: