Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Probe 1.10 OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I'm afraid that there is a problem either with bounding boxes or collision detection (or both) in the trunk (1.72) at the moment. This could be the reason why the missile explodes on launch with the SVN versions.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
As to the 'Bots, they're designed to be expensive for two reasons. Firstly you get the convenience of repairs away from dock, and secondly they can fix (almost) anything. Yes if they fix fuel scoops you're spending 5000cr on a 300cr fix, but if they fix a broken cloaking device or bit of Military kit...
You are right. The prise itself is a real problem. I on the other hand found it to low. When your military shields gets destroyed it is often a problem to find a system to repair it. A system with a repair-bot is easier to find. And the cost is lower than a official repair.

Maybe a low fixed price and added costs on repair. I just cant find a reasonable explanation for additional costs.
In that case you may be hitting the player vs player.ship separation "due" in 1.72? It may be that the new code to move the missile isn't working correctly under the new set-up,
I suggested Thargoid a fix for orientation as player orientation is always stored inverted for player as compared with all other ships in versions untill 1.71.2. In my believe this inversion for player is corrected with 1.72. The probe does a check for oolite version but maybe was I wrong and it is still not fixed in the released trunck version? in that case the missile launches in a somewhat random direction under 1.72 (inverted w-orientation)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Eric Walch wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
As to the 'Bots, they're designed to be expensive for two reasons. Firstly you get the convenience of repairs away from dock, and secondly they can fix (almost) anything. Yes if they fix fuel scoops you're spending 5000cr on a 300cr fix, but if they fix a broken cloaking device or bit of Military kit...
You are right. The prise itself is a real problem. I on the other hand found it to low. When your military shields gets destroyed it is often a problem to find a system to repair it. A system with a repair-bot is easier to find. And the cost is lower than a official repair.

Maybe a low fixed price and added costs on repair. I just cant find a reasonable explanation for additional costs.
If I may re-awaken the repair bot thread, and transfer the discussion about that OXP to there? A suggestion as to how to proceed is at the bottom...
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Micha wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
Last point first, personally I would agree with that sentiment. At the moment the multi-target does allow different targets per missile (and you can cycle through a history of the last few ships you've targetted iirc, although I don't often use it), but your solution about selectable missile but single target would work. How much extra coding it would be is another question though...
Probably not much - unfortunately RL is preventing me from putting as much time as I'd like into Oolite. I'll have a quick poke around the multi-target code tomorrow night and see if I can adjust it. I've already looked at it briefly and it's just a case of always allowing the missile-change but only keeping a history of and adjusting the target-lock if you have the multi-target expansion.
*yawn* Well, I had a quick poke around the code and I've implemented a way to change missile pylons with and without the multi-target expansion. Still a minor bug in that it also targets mines for some reason (unsure why, unless mines are classed as both mines and missiles..? I'l look into it further tomorrow, err, later today... lots of weird signals occuring when debugging with gdb are _not_ helping!)
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Thargoid wrote:
But if you can run it against a vanilla 1.71.2 installation that will be great, it should give us definitive answers.
Looks like it works fine under 1.71.2 so it must be the bounding-box problem which another_commander mentioned in 1.72.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Thanks. At least we have a good idea of the cause now, and people still on 1.71.2 can enjoy it. And I guess you'll just have to use the special launch procedure (as I said above, maybe add a "pauseAI: 2.0" or similar to the launcher's AI (which destroys it and calls the script that spawns the missile) to give you a little more time to get out of the way.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Indeed :)

In the meantime I'm wrestling with my missile-change code. The basic modification was fairly trivial but I'm not very happy with how it handles targetting when switching between missiles and mines.

Then again, I trialled the multi-target expansion and played around with that to see how it worked and I don't like that very much either. Probably the best thing is to open a new thread and ask peoples' opinion - I'm guessing there's a reason for the way it works currently.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK, a v1.72 compatible version is now available.

==Probe v1.02 available here==
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And now a further update for 1.73. URL as above, or from the links below.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

hej,

I am a bit insecure - does it really head towards where it is supposed to ?
See the picture, the probe missile was fired off while standing still, ship oriented just as in the picture.

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It comes back to your proximity, you do have to do the last little bit and go pick it up yourself.

I mean would you really want me to script a missile to come back to your exact location? :twisted:
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Ah, thanks, no problem picking it up.

I was just testing it a little bit. And it looks as if it would not be going into the direction I wanted. But I should have just done some more testing to see where it goes, if the report(s) match what I find heading there myself; instead of asking here.
Sorry.