Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Engine sound

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Ahruman wrote:
ktulu1975 wrote:
It'd be cool to have the Blue Danube kick in when you are about to dock with a space station also...
Doesn’t it do that already? Oh, wait, I have vague memories of a problem there in non-Mac builds that was recentlyish solved.
And of course you need to use your docking computer in order to hear the Blue Danube.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

never thought about engine noise before!
might be pretty cool to change the sound file to a choppy/rougher engine note when it gets damaged too.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I think it should sound like a generator. Because the cockpit is always far away from the engine room. But there could be subtle differences. Hence in a racing game sounds are almost the primary immersion factor for a game.

Anyone does play GTR2 or GTR Evolution? Then you know that sound CAN make a very big difference
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

an engine sound would be excelent, and mabey the odd rattle or shake from small asteroid dust or if you hit a solar flare, but a background hum would be good, and mabey crea\king during Maneuvers.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Commander McLane wrote:
And of course you need to use your docking computer in order to hear the Blue Danube.
A little off-topic for this thread, but in the original (C64) Elite the docking computer could run you all the way from the witchspace point to the station - in Oolite it only works in station proximity. Any reason behind the change? In a (hopefully) safe system it was always good to whack on the DC and go off and have dinner *g* (Admittedly that was primarily before I discovered the 'J'umpdrive..)

On-topic, I'd also vote for some sort of engine/generator background sounds.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Micha wrote:
In a (hopefully) safe system it was always good to whack on the DC and go off and have dinner
There is no such thing as a safe system. :twisted:
(Admittedly that was primarily before I discovered the 'J'umpdrive..)
I think that's the answer you're looking for. Why should anybody go on autopilot from the witchbuoy and have a painfully slow (or long) coffee-break, when there's a jumpdrive?