Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

So when was your First Encounter (fnarr, fnarr) of Elite

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

I first encountered Elite (or one of its derivitives) on a...

BBC/Acorn
35%
Spectrum
12%
C64
26%
Amiga/Atari ST
7%
PC
8%
another 8bit machine I have failed to mention
5%
another 16/32bit machine I have failed to mention
2%
There was something else before Oolite?!?
5%

Total votes: 121

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@Cmdr W - according to my add/remove programs list I already have the Flash plug-in installed (although this means nothing - I have LAME installed and Sound Juicer still refuses to give me the option to decode CDs to mp3 format), however, medibuntu is a fanastic site so thanks for that.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
eeji
Average
Average

Post by eeji »

My first Elite experience was waaaaaaaaaay back on a BBC B :)

see through black n white wire frame graphics! top notch!! :)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Welcome eeji - thanks for joining in the debate! :)
Selezen wrote:
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

well, my first encounter was Frontier:FE few years ago, at some abandonware pages...the game was great, except some bugs...but kept me busy for some time, and recently I came across Oolite.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Welcome Sarin - certainly a glut of new players at the moment!

I've still got my original C64 version of Elite and the C64 to play it on and Frontier and the Amiga A500 to play it on (not that I have the chance or the room any more - two small children have seen to that!)
Selezen wrote:
eeji
Average
Average

Post by eeji »

...unfortunately i can't get Oolite to run :( details are in the 'Oolite - PC' section :(
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I have replied on said thread...
Selezen wrote:
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

C64 for me - forget which year. The copy I played was of dubious origin, so like a poster above, it took me forever to work out the 'j'umpdrive (a lot of keys just beeped and did nothing.. heh) And of course lots of keys did nothing until the corresponding piece of kit was purchased.

Nowadays I do actually still have an original C64 box packed away somewhere.

Moved on to Amiga Elite and tried lots of different emulated versions (of which I've got quite an archive - I believe someone wanted ArcElite?). Also bought and played FFE and F:TNK, but none grabbed me quite like the C64 original (which at the time permanently burned the ship console into the TV I was using...)

Tried various modern incarnations over the years but the best so far is Oolite - great stuff! Keeps close enough to the original to not break the feeling but has loads of neat expansions which flesh it out a bit.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

My first Elite experience was in my first PC (8088 processor – 640KB RAM –NO HARD DISK JUST A 360KB 5 ¼” FLOPPY DISK).
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@Ark - oh happy days - I bet your PC booted up faster than a modern day one running Vista too!
Selezen wrote:
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

For me it was a BBC B at a friends house. I remember being gobsmacked by the hidden line removal on the ships - as I'd done a bit of 3d programming at the time and knew how hard this was - I didn't cotton on to the 'concave' ships design until much later.

Also very impressed with the Fibonnacci sequence thing.

I didn't play it properly until it came out on the Spectrum, and I became 'Elite' on that after a while.

Did play occasionally, but never owned FE2/FFE/Elite Plus. Downloaded TNK. Got hacked off that the PalmOS version never was released.

Didn't play again properly until Oolite really though.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Dr Beeb
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr Beeb »

My brother and I used to stare through a shop window in the evenings at a BBC model B wondering when our mum would buy it for us - for 'educational purposes', which she eventually did :D Shortly after that Elite came out, school-friends raved about it 'got t' reach the planet before the pirates get ya'. Got the tape version, got the disc version, that sped up getting to Elite considerably. And reached Elite and then felt completely empty.

Never came across a game I liked as much as that, and wandered in the wildnerness for 20+ years. Doom & Quake helped, but still nostalgic for Elite. Six months ago I got very nostalgic about the BBC micro and knowing its guts, compared to my present machines, and found its entry on wikipedia. I felt like editing it, but then got distracted by a link to Elite, and then I arrived at the promised land. This time with Oolite I am going to pace myself to reach Elite. :wink:

A colleague at work today fessed how his evenings on wikipedia was beginning to annoy his wife - I told him he has no idea what Oolite could do ...
White dots were so much easier to hit
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Dr Beeb wrote:
A colleague at work today fessed how his evenings on wikipedia was beginning to annoy his wife - I told him he has no idea what Oolite could do ...
:D
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Coincidently, my wife has bugged me a lot about the time I spend playing and scripting for Oolite, but I can always get her to stop it with the following comment... “If I had a little number up in right corner that told me how many XP points I got. Then you wouldn't mind.”. Because she play some games on Facebook that is on line, and basically XP point based. But the difference is, these are on line with a nice number up in the right corner of the screen, reflecting how much she feed or washed some tamagotchi like Cat, of hers and her friends... on line puppets so to speak... childhood, it never gets old... ;-)
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Tell her that your XP points is the number of kills. Then she will be happy.