Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

shaders question

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

dogeddie
Above Average
Above Average

shaders question

Post by dogeddie »

I have an nVidia 6800 128 mb card that will handle 3.0 shaders. I have Sungs ship textures and PA groove stations installed. If I have the shaders set to simple, the beginning of the game shows different ship and station models clearly. However, if I use Full shaders, the models become very dark. In game, though, everything seems okay (not dark). What should I run w/ that card?
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

This is a bug in the Oolite shader code, not something specific to your video card.

Best wishes,
Oscar
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Ah ha, I had assumed it was only me :)

In my oolite code, I have set the ambient light to about 5 times as high for the demo scree. Should I commit the change?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Cmdr James wrote:
Ah ha, I had assumed it was only me :)

In my oolite code, I have set the ambient light to about 5 times as high for the demo scree. Should I commit the change?
Quite amusing. I asked Ahruman about an repair of the dark ships and he said basically, not at the moment, takes time to do etc.

It`s not only the demo screen, by the way, it`s also the shipyard screen. If there was an easy way to implement your five times higher ambient lighting in both demo- and shipyard screen, I as a gamer would say yes, please, by all means do that!

Looking forwards to visible ships in those screens :)

L
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Ah well, I think the correct thing to do is set up some nice light sources, all I did was turn up the brightness so everything is brighter on the demoscreen and the shipyard (its the same code, as far as I remember)

It is quite possible that my fix makes ships look too bright when not shader enabled.

Ill see if I have 5 minutes to check again tonight.
dogeddie
Above Average
Above Average

Post by dogeddie »

So it's just an issue with the introductory models and the shaders are stable to use for the game itself?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

If its the problem I am thinking of, then it is just that the light levels are too low for the light sources used in demoships and shipyard (everywhere except in space/witchspace, I think).

It is only a problem "in-game" when you are buying a ship, and you cannot see what it looks like. I am not aware of any shader stability issues (but I am not an OXPer, so maybe someone else can hightlight any know issues?).
dogeddie
Above Average
Above Average

Post by dogeddie »

I'm a total noob and haven't flown hardly anywhere, but is there a big difference between simple and full shaders? I haven't seen alot to compare the two, but it doesn't seem real dramatic to me?
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I have also dark ships, however in game they are ok
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709