Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ship upgrade decisions ... RoS or not?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Ship upgrade decisions ... RoS or not?

Post by CmdrLUke »

Ship upgrade decisions....

I'm at the point where I can just afford (non-RS) a Remorse of Conscience, which I've seen described as a good Cobra MkIII upgrade ship. But I've noticed the ship data table on the wiki says "no shields" for the RoS. Does that mean no shield boosters at all, and no Military Shield Supplement (the regular 47.5K one)? Wouldn't that make the RoS very much inferior to the Cobra MkIII for any sort of combat, especially with huge Thargoids battle groups?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

It can't mount either shield boosters or Naval Shields. But it can haul 60 tones and at 0.47 LM it'll get you out of trouble faster then any other small cargo hauler. If you wanna trade for a bit to build up some cash for a more combat orientated ship then its a good upgrade from the MK III as you can almost double your profits from a trade run, but its not as suited for combat as the Mk III. A stepping stone ship really, but not a bad choice for a first new ship. I like the Josher though!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Post by CmdrLUke »

Well, there's the PCC as well to consider to get into the low range of the hauling world. Decsions, decisions! I may just stay with the MkIII until I can afford the Courier :)
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

CmdrLUke wrote:
Well, there's the PCC as well to consider to get into the low range of the hauling world. Decsions, decisions! I may just stay with the MkIII until I can afford the Courier :)
One thing about the PCC you should know:

DOCK SIDEWAYS!!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cap'n H wrote:
DOCK SIDEWAYS!!
What! Pull on the handbrake and slide it in James Bond style?! Is that why the Yaw control was added - specifically for boy racer PCC commanders? :)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Captain Hesperus

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Cap'n H wrote:
DOCK SIDEWAYS!!
What! Pull on the handbrake and slide it in James Bond style?! Is that why the Yaw control was added - specifically for boy racer PCC commanders? :)
:roll:
No, it is taller than it is wide, so docking in the conventional manner will result in losing that spiffy ram-scoop on the underside (as well as most of your shields).

Not that I need to have a ship that size to scrape the sides of the Space Station's docking port.....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

I'm looking at the thread title - what does RoS stand for?

Answers on a postcard to.....
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Post by CmdrLUke »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
I'm looking at the thread title - what does RoS stand for?

Answers on a postcard to.....
The ship: "Remorse of Conscience". I mistyped the subject

BTW, I decided to save a bit longer and got a Python Class Cruiser. Makes a big difference in the income stream, and it's a pretty good fighter. Now the low-end cargo world is opened to me and it's going well. The PCC is a tad slower at pitch maneuvers than the Cobra MkIII so dogfighting is more mid-range rather than close-up (which I prefer more to long range).

Thanks for the hints about docking "sideways", I haven't stuffed a landing yet (famous last words).
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

CmdrLUke wrote:
The ship: "Remorse of Conscience". I mistyped the subject
I know, commander. I was just pulling your leg... ;)
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
Captain Hesperus

CmdrLUke wrote:
Thanks for the hints about docking "sideways", I haven't stuffed a landing yet (famous last words).
You're welcome, just look out for my Python, the 'Dubious Profit' and see how a professional messes up docking.

Although it's best to watch from Station side as once I've wrecked the docking slot, it's a good forty-odd hours of maintenance to repair it....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!