Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

When nobody sees you pirate, are you really still clean?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

When nobody sees you pirate, are you really still clean?

Post by CmdrLUke »

I've noticed that attacking clean ships without the cops around doesn't change the displayed legal status. Is the status reallly totally clean or does it start to edge towards Offender but it's just not displayed?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

You have to be spotted by a Cop or GalCop Station doing the deed to earn a legal record.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Post by CmdrLUke »

LittleBear wrote:
You have to be spotted by a Cop or GalCop Station doing the deed to earn a legal record.
Heh this opens up a whole new world of play....I guess that's why less structured systems have more pirating, pirating is "safer" there.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

CmdrLUke wrote:
LittleBear wrote:
Heh this opens up a whole new world of play....I guess that's why less structured systems have more pirating, pirating is "safer" there.
Absolutely, at the end of the day, GalCop has 8x255 planets to police, they can't be everywhere. Unfortunate really, but this is why all graduates of the Lave Academy received comprehensive combat and evasion techniques (well, they got a few hours in the simulator, there are over 3,000 students per class....)

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

CmdrLUke wrote:
Heh this opens up a whole new world of play....
Not really. This world was always around you. :)
CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Post by CmdrLUke »

Yes, that's true, but I didn't know about it, so for *me* it's new :). I thought firing upon a clean meant instant Offender or Fugitive status, period, even in the middle of space with nobody watching (you get credited with the kill, after all, so *somebody*'s counting).
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

CmdrLUke wrote:
...even in the middle of space with nobody watching (you get credited with the kill, after all, so *somebody*'s counting).
Yes, that 'somebody' is the Elite Federation of Pilots. They install a camera alongside your laser that records all your kills and a system that piggybacks onto the ship's scanner to detect missile and WMD kills. Each kill is credited by the EFP, but they do not record the legal status of the target, nor do they record the events leading up to the kill. This practice is frowned upon by GalCop, but the EFP respond by saying that they are entirely neutral and cannot damage this impartiality by 'reporting' illegal kills to GalCop, since pilots would simply not sign up for accreditation by the EFP and the illegal killings would still continue.
However, on reaching ==ELITE== they do make your badge to match your psychological profile and combat record.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!