Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

12 kg == 2t?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

12 kg == 2t?

Post by CmdrLUke »

I'm playing a pimped out pirate adder (lol) for fun. I hung out at the witch point beacon and took out single ships that came through. I also took out a convoy with an Anaconda, and got sifted through the wreckage to keep only the precious metals to preserve space.

After I had picked up a total of 12kg of metals, I was told my cargo hold was full! A 2 ton cargo hold which can hold 2 tons of alloys, or minerals, or computers, somehow can only hold 27 pounds of precious metals? That's going to put a big damper on the adder pirate business...!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

All scooped cargo takes up 1 ton's worth of space per pod. When you dock (anywhere) you transfer any gems or precious metals from the hold into the safe in your cabin. So the best idea would probably be to hang out near the witchpoint with a Convenience Store nearby so you can quickly re-sort your ill-gotten gains... but as you say it does still put a crimp on piracy in an adder!
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

You could probably double your storage space if you added a hook with a bucket on it to the hull. ;D
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Disembodied wrote:
All scooped cargo takes up 1 ton's worth of space per pod.
CmdrLUke, in case you haven't noticed: Whatever amount of precious goods may be found in a container, it's still one complete container that you have scooped. Containers are standardized, and have all the same volume (at least if we're talking about the containers in the original set only). So for your cargo bay it simply doesn't matter what's inside the container. Your Adder has space for two containers, period.
Disembodied wrote:
When you dock (anywhere) you transfer any gems or precious metals from the hold into the safe in your cabin.
Yep!
CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Post by CmdrLUke »

Commander McLane wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
All scooped cargo takes up 1 ton's worth of space per pod.
CmdrLUke, in case you haven't noticed: Whatever amount of precious goods may be found in a container, it's still one complete container that you have scooped. Containers are standardized, and have all the same volume (at least if we're talking about the containers in the original set only). So for your cargo bay it simply doesn't matter what's inside the container. Your Adder has space for two containers, period.
Disembodied wrote:
When you dock (anywhere) you transfer any gems or precious metals from the hold into the safe in your cabin.
Yep!
I see -- so thsi isn't so bad then, I just need to hang out in a place where docking is possible, e.g., around Seedy Space Bars or Convenience Stores, etc.?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

CmdrLUke wrote:
I see -- so thsi isn't so bad then, I just need to hang out in a place where docking is possible, e.g., around Seedy Space Bars or Convenience Stores, etc.?
Yup... although committing acts of piracy around Seedy Space Bars might not be the best idea in the world!