A Solar Systems OXP - @Frame

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Commander McLane wrote:
I think some people even attempted to fly to the gas giants from Assassins which are yet much further away.
That would be me :roll: , it took about 35 - 40 minutes with the Torus jump drive
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Commander McLane wrote:
... for me the sun, its visible position relative to the main planet, and the light coming from it, are an important part of the corridor's surroundings.
Would it be possible, as a solution for this, to make the sun model itself bigger and brighter?

As in, if the suns are shoved away seven times further, make the sun diameter seven times bigger and the brightness seven times brighter?

One can create custom planets, why not custom suns ...
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Commander McLane wrote:
Moving the sun, however, has its own problems.

I personally can easily imagine to install your OXP (probably I want to have another OXP which will depend on yours). I don't have anything against the addition of some jump-gates next to the station, and the possibility to go surfing out-system. However I would like to have these as an addition to the Ooniverse I know, not as a radical change of it. So, if I choose not to visit one of the outer planets, the game should continue to work normally. In other words: I am completely fine with knowing that there is a bigger world outside the corridor. But I wouldn't like to have the corridor itself and its surroundings to be changed. And for me the sun, its visible position relative to the main planet, and the light coming from it, are an important part of the corridor's surroundings.
option 2. Then i simply move the the outer most planet oppersite of the sun about 6.000.000 million meters same desired effect. that would also make people not wanting to go further on the oppersit side of the sun.

We could also make it so not all worlds have a sun that far from the main planet.. "to much coding, i keep wanting to write mainPlanet" lol... but for now, i´ll use the 2nd option i described

i´ll stay clear of the famous worlds... lave, zaonce,diso and so on.. these are going to be certain 1 star, 1 planet systems...

If anybody has any special requests, in regard to systems where they want extra planets and jumpgates, please let me know... just remember the maximum distance from the witchpoint is 7.000.000 million meters in any direction...

i decided to construct two types of jumpgates... one that lets you select what planet to get "jumpgated" too.. and one that just jumpgates you to the planet it is targeting. this will be specific for each system and will follow the tech level.. Tech level 9+ will have multi select jumpgates... below that, they will have one

Notice you will be delivered approximately the same or half the distance from the planet as normally when you enter the area with a withcspace beacon from witchspace. this ofcourse is not affecting normal witchspace beacon posistion.

here is a pic.. its large so its a link... of a tech lvl 9+ jumpgate.. without textures...

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn18 ... point3.jpg
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Frame »

Lestradae wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
... for me the sun, its visible position relative to the main planet, and the light coming from it, are an important part of the corridor's surroundings.
Would it be possible, as a solution for this, to make the sun model itself bigger and brighter?

As in, if the suns are shoved away seven times further, make the sun diameter seven times bigger and the brightness seven times brighter?

One can create custom planets, why not custom suns ...
Once spawned, we can´t alter the radius, here is a snippet from the Oolite code...

Code: Select all

static JSPropertySpec sPlanetProperties[] =
{
	// JS name					ID							flags
	{ "isMainPlanet",			kPlanet_isMainPlanet,		JSPROP_PERMANENT | JSPROP_ENUMERATE | JSPROP_READONLY },
	{ "hasAtmosphere",			kPlanet_hasAtmosphere,		JSPROP_PERMANENT | JSPROP_ENUMERATE | JSPROP_READONLY },
	{ "radius",					kPlanet_radius,				JSPROP_PERMANENT | JSPROP_ENUMERATE | JSPROP_READONLY },
	{ 0 }
};
as you can read, it is read only... which means we can´t write to it, once it has been created...

there is a whole bunch of other troubles... with moving the build in sun and main planet... if the sun suddenly got bigger, everything caught within the sun, exept planets and moons, would be destroyed...

The jumpgates dont operate via witchspace... what you will see is an illusion of a jump, however you will stay ofcourse in the same system.. but just appearing another place....

i initially attacked this by thinking i could move the whole system... which i can, however ships will still autospawn at the witchpoint which is allways 0,0,0.. i even tried jumpgating inside the sun and planet, which lead to instant death... and good that it did... just had to check that for a dyson sphere effect ;-)

but moving an entire system, would surely cause a performance hit... not to mention that saw´s/murphy´s law allways apply...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Ahruman wrote:
Frame wrote:
it is just funny, that it is only the effects that suffers.. the models are rotating just fine...
This is to be expected. General rotation is handled within OpenGL, at mandated double precision. Effects are done in single precision; in particular, single-precision subtraction of large numbers leads to large errors.
i just thought if this...

So i presume Oolite is not moving the whole universe around you, but is using some sort of camera, and moves you around in the universe. for people not having looked into OpenGL this is perfectly logicall... but that is not the way "you start with" to learn to render anything in OpenGL, you learn to move the whole world around the users/players viewpoint...

while the moving the universe around you, would have eliminated the large number precision problem, which is why i figure this is the first way you learn to render anything in OpenGL... And that double precision is mandated...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Is this really a problem at 7.000.000 metres?

Because, I managed to place a station on the surface of an innermost planet about 6 million metres from witchpoint & main planet, and if there was some unsharpness in rotations or position the station would have blown up. But it worked, and I just left I think 5 metres distance to the surface ...

Have I misunderstood something? Will you show us a betatest of your interplanetary gates to have a look at in the game?

Watching this closely :shock:

L
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Frame wrote:
here is a pic.. its large so its a link... of a tech lvl 9+ jumpgate.. without textures...

Picture looks already very impressive. With texture and probably a lot of flashers it certainly will look great. 8) And I wondered how you would make the gates working, but when seeing the picture of the gate I immediately noticed the resemblance with the ringpods.

With that code you can even determine from which side you are flying through. Great!
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Eric Walch wrote:
Frame wrote:

Picture looks already very impressive. With texture and probably a lot of flashers it certainly will look great. 8) And I wondered how you would make the gates working, but when seeing the picture of the gate I immediately noticed the resemblance with the ringpods.

With that code you can even determine from which side you are flying through. Great!
Red flashers one side and green the other!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Red flashers one side and green the other!
And when entering the red side you see a gigantic firework.... untill you realise you are in the centre of the sun..
:twisted:<<press space commander>> :twisted:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Frame wrote:
So i presume Oolite is not moving the whole universe around you, but is using some sort of camera, and moves you around in the universe. for people not having looked into OpenGL this is perfectly logicall... but that is not the way "you start with" to learn to render anything in OpenGL, you learn to move the whole world around the users/players viewpoint...

while the moving the universe around you, would have eliminated the large number precision problem, which is why i figure this is the first way you learn to render anything in OpenGL... And that double precision is mandated...
Rendering is always camera-centric, but simulation is not (in Oolite or in much else).
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Ahruman wrote:
Frame wrote:

Rendering is always camera-centric, but simulation is not (in Oolite or in much else).
rendering is ofcourse "camera-centric", the viewport/point is essential a camera on its own, however, in order for us the get the move/rotate troubles at great distances because of the precision, therefore the camera must move through the OpenGL coordinate system, instead of moving/rotating all other objects through the OpenGL coordinate system relative to the users/players viewpoint, which would mean that the users would allways be at point 0,0,0 and the precision trouble would be eliminated... but i understand why Giles did it the other way.. i presume it was easier, and less costly in terms of CPU/GPU time...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

did a mockup in 3dmax

jumpgate with flashers... stilll no textures.. i´m trying to decide wheter or not the jumpgate should be lit up by the flashers

the animation would be flash the green flashers, then the red flashers... and so on..

here is the mock up...

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn18 ... eflash.jpg
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Frame wrote:
did a mockup in 3dmax

jumpgate with flashers... stilll no textures.. i´m trying to decide wheter or not the jumpgate should be lit up by the flashers

the animation would be flash the green flashers, then the red flashers... and so on..

here is the mock up...

Why does Babylon Five immediately spring to mind?

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Frame wrote:
did a mockup in 3dmax

here is the mock up...

Why does Babylon Five immediately spring to mind?

Captain Hesperus

i have absolutely no clue

Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

:-) :-) :-)