Complete System Lockup in Windowed Mode

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

jasey
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Complete System Lockup in Windowed Mode

Post by jasey »

Hi,

I have been playing the game for a few days now, and have started using windowed mode for those "slow" times when getting to the space station and the jump drive is mass locked.

Unfortunately, I have noticed twice that my system will completely freeze - mouse dead, caps lock key not working - the usual complete system freeze. The first time I got a GPU crash recovery, the second time it just froze.

I am not sure if this is an ATI issue, or an Oolite issue - I have only just installed the latest (8.8 ) drivers for my GFX card, around the same time I switched to windowed mode.

For your info, my (basic) PC specs are:

Latest TEST version of oolite (downloaded 5 days ago I think :o)
Running windowed mode, all options on high.
Vista x64
2gb ram
ATI Radeon 4850 (running at 670/1100)
AMD 64 x2 4200+ (running at 2.4ghz)
200gb+ free hdd space
Running under a non-elevated Administrator account.

I am sure the Overclocks are not an issue - every other DX game works fine (COD4, Trackmania, Company of Heros etc), temperatures are low etc. However, Oolite is the only OGL game I run.

I get the feeling, due to the nature of the crash (complete system freeze) that this is more of a driver issue, but thought I would ask here first before jumping through the loops of ATI Technical Support.

Has anyone else experienced such freezes with this version? I can grab the logs (if you tell me where they live :o))
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I've said it more than once and I'll say it again: ATI do not do good OGL drivers - they never have and I suspect they never will.

See this thread for alternative drivers: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=4940

PS - Welcome to the forums - We're a happy, friendly, helpful bunch - hope you have fun while you're here.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
jasey
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by jasey »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I've said it more than once and I'll say it again: ATI do not do good OGL drivers - they never have and I suspect they never will.
Ah... Bugger :roll:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
See this thread for alternative drivers: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=4940
Well, I tried playing again, it locked up so I went for the reset button. Low and behold, my PC wouldnt reboot any more. Damn thing seemed to have lost half of the NTFS MFT tables... So, a quick reinstall, and am now back with Vista32, and I will try again.

I have been considering the Omega drivers for a while, but was a bit unsure of what they fixed/improved upon. If they get OGL working better, and ultimately OoLite, then I will definately take the plunge.

At least this catastrphic failure has cured my Trumble problem :lol:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
PS - Welcome to the forums - We're a happy, friendly, helpful bunch - hope you have fun while you're here.
Thanks... Its nice to be part of a friendly community. Its just a shame I introduced myself with a bug issue (or, rather a driver issue!)

EDIT: I must say that the loss of data was due to VISTA crashing, nothing to do with the game!!!