Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cheats ???

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

BobAlmighty
Above Average
Above Average

Cheats ???

Post by BobAlmighty »

Cheats please ?/ Dare I ask ?? First thanks and well done .. I also used to play elite .. on the Spectrum .. then Atari.. only these days .. just dont have the time to spend building up the cash fer good ships .. just a little cheat .. please ? just t get a little more munneee ???? :) anyideas suggestions??

Ta :)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

simplest cheat: open your savefile with a simple texteditor (not Word or something complicated, those tend to add some unwanted stuff like formatting etc. in there that'd mess up your savefile), look for the credits mentioned there, and add some zero's. (be aware that in the savefile 1=0.1 w/ credits, so if you want 1000 cr, you have to enter 10,000 instead of 1000

Done. :D

(You can do a lot more, change some no to yes etc re: equipment, but if you award yourself wit a gazillion bazillion credits, you can buy the stuff in-game too)
Last edited by Rxke on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobAlmighty
Above Average
Above Average

Post by BobAlmighty »

Rxke wrote:
simplest cheat: open your savefile with a simple texteditor (not Word or something complicated, those tend to add some unwanted stuff in there that'd mess up your savefile), look for the credits mentioned there, and add some zero's. (be aware that in the savefile 1=0.1 w/ credits, so if you want 1000 cr, you have to enter 10,000 instead of 1000

Done. :D

(You can do a lot more, change some no to yes etc re: equipment, but if you award yourself wit a gazillion bazillion credits, you can buy the stuff in-game too)
Loveleeeee :) Thanx :lol:
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

It's all very well to up your gameplay by fiddling the save file, but there will be no satisfaction becoming elite if you haven't started from scratch.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
BobAlmighty
Above Average
Above Average

Post by BobAlmighty »

TGHC wrote:
It's all very well to up your gameplay by fiddling the save file, but there will be no satisfaction becoming elite if you haven't started from scratch.
yeah well I used to live in slough :)

I'm having plenty of fun thanks .. havent been into a game fer so long fer many years ! . really dont have the time to do all that again :) .. not to mention the fact I started from scratch more than 20 years ago :P
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

i agree bout the satisfaction bit - when i was fixing a broken savefile i added some creds... but eventually took them off again. it kinda spoils the fun when you don't need to think about affording stuff. just being able to buy a ship and soup it up to the max... it's too easy.
edible poet? onna stick?
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

For fun you can always sell your Cobra 3 and buy a souped-up Cobra 1 at Zaonce.

It's a little fragile in combat (buy ECM and fuel-injectors), but you can certainly have fun raiding with it until you can afford something larger.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

That's what i always do, 'xcept I go for the mkII-X (forgot in which OXP that is)

it's not cheating, and you can go on a rampage from the second jump on, heehee!
BNFTD
Poor
Poor

Impossible to find???

Post by BNFTD »

I even couldn't find the savegame anyway. Where is it? Please tell me.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Impossible to find???

Post by Thargoid »

BNFTD wrote:
I even couldn't find the savegame anyway. Where is it? Please tell me.
In the oolite.app folder, you'll find a sub-folder called oolite-saves. They're in there...
BNFTD
Poor
Poor

Impossible to find???

Post by BNFTD »

Is it possible to send me a clean save-game? My Oolite doesn't create this sub-folder or a save-game, even if the program says they exists (remarkable enough).
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

BNFTD, what operating system are you using? Mac OSX, Windows, Linux? In the Mac version the oolite-saves folder is in your top level home folder (the little house icon).
BNFTD
Poor
Poor

Post by BNFTD »

I'm just using PC, Windows Vista to be excactly.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, BNFTD, and first of all welcome to the boards and of course to this great game! :D

Why don't you just start Oolite, choose the "Load save game"-option from the main screen (press "y") and let the load-menu come up? Wherever Vista stores your games, it should know where to find them again.

Or - sorry if I'm pointing out something obvious - let's get back one step and squash a possible misunderstanding: Have you already saved your game? Oolite does not come with pre-installed save-games. You have to start with a new Jameson and eventually save yourself (the general advice is: save every time you dock with a main station; pressing F2 brings you to the load/save-menu). When you restart the game for the next time, you may load this commander of yours and continue from the point you have reached so far.
BNFTD
Poor
Poor

oolite-saves

Post by BNFTD »

Thank you, but I've searched around allready (I'm not that nuts that I'm trying to search for a save-game that doesn't exsists, even I know that). But while the program keeps claiming he's creating the save-game in the oolite-saves folder, there isn't a trace of the oolite-saves folder. Like only the program sees it, and the explorer doesn't.
Last edited by BNFTD on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.