Cargo contract: can items be swapped?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

hircus
Competent
Competent

Cargo contract: can items be swapped?

Post by hircus »

So I've just carried my first cargo contract (bless the Mosquito Trader, it's big enough for enough occasional contracts that I don't think I'd need to touch the Python yet), and it just happened to be lucrative (computers) and quick. It struck me that, for longer-distanced hauls, it would be nice to be able to sell the merchandise and repurchase it closer to the destination, though.

The question, then, is whether the contracted containers are marked in any way. In which case I'd be stuck with a lower cargo capacity until the contract is delivered.

TIA!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

As far as I know, no, you can only carry the cargo loaded aboard when you took the contract. Sell or lose the load prior to delivery, and you fail the mission. However, that doesn't stop you from buying a little extra to sell on the side along the way, if you have the room.

Instead of cargo missions, I do the occasional passenger run. Even with limited cargo space, I can mount a passenger seat or two, and they're often just as lucrative as cargo missions.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Afaik, you can sell some of the stuff as long as you have the required amount in your hold when you reach the destination. But better save your game and see if it works before trusting my word... ;)
hircus
Competent
Competent

Post by hircus »

I have not encountered another suitable cargo mission (the ones I can carry have tended to be to the other end of the galaxy, and I have other missions (UPS, GalNav, Random Hits) to deal with first.
Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Instead of cargo missions, I do the occasional passenger run. Even with limited cargo space, I can mount a passenger seat or two, and they're often just as lucrative as cargo missions.
I used to do that in Galaxy I, but someone mentioned that cargo contracts end up fetching up to 100k per run eventually? Does passenger-ferrying end up being that much? (Perhaps flying VIPs and guarding them against assasination). The 5-space storage per passenger that's permanently taken (unless you buy and sell the compartment) is 9% of my cargo capacity!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I've seen passenger rates go up as time passed. They usually offer more if it's a long trip.

As for cargo space, well that's something I don't worry about; I'm not doing milk runs in order to build up an iron ass anymore. My ass is hard industrial tempered iron, I have a fully kitted Dragon XE, and I eat laser baked pirate meat for breakfast for my cred, as a career bounty hunter.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

The cargo isn't marked in any way, so as long as you deliver the required amount at the destination you'll get paid. There is definitely money to be made by selling the cargo earlier if you happen to come across high prices and repurchasing later on. Similarly, if any cargo gets damaged en route you will need to replace it but you'll have to pay for it out of your own pocket.

While this will work for medium amounts of the more common commodities, if you're contracted to transport very large amounts (>100t) of rarer items you may find it difficult to replenish your stock.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
polyh
Competent
Competent

Post by polyh »

hircus wrote:
I used to do that in Galaxy I, but someone mentioned that cargo contracts end up fetching up to 100k per run eventually?
I did. ATM im delivering 5824 kilos of gold to cemave, it will make me 110.000 cr in the end (payout is around 200.000 cr, I think).

Sometimes you're lucky and you'll get contracts that will be along the way (or just a bit off). The schedule may get a bit tight, but in the end it will be worth it:

Ramirez is right with the cargo. You may sell it at any time, but don't forget to fill your stash before you reach your destination.
There are only 10 types of Jamesons in the Ooniverse. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Somehow there is a bug in Oolite. I see you have loaded:

Code: Select all

76t furs          =  76 ton
10488 kg Gold     =  10.5 ton
 3528 kg Platinum =   3.5 ton
      total :     =  90.0 ton
I remember seeing it calculating well with this kg/ton translation in 1.71. Or is it counting different on different pages?

And when you transport this amounts of valuables I think you need a bigger vault on your ship. And that should also use up cargo space.

It is currently not possible to see the cargo by script, but prepare yourself already that there will be much more pirates in a system when it becomes possible to check for gold.

And can you cheat your contractor by selling the cargo elsewhere for a better prise? Your reputation will do down but as long you deliver enough of the contracts in time that should be okay.
polyh
Competent
Competent

Post by polyh »

I'm using Oolite 1.65, maybe this has been changed?
There are only 10 types of Jamesons in the Ooniverse. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

polyh wrote:
I'm using Oolite 1.65, maybe this has been changed?
Probably not. Oolite 1.71 is also not counting kg well. I once saw it calculating kg --> ton so this I remembered.

I now took better notice. I had a load of 112 ton. I took a contract of 1500 kg gold. On the bottom of my screen I noticed the cargo load rose to 113 ton. Well calculated, but when I went to the F8 screen it jumped back to 112 ton.

Same when taken a contract of 2200 kg gold. Initially my load jumped to 114 ton but went back to 112 on the F8 screen.
So, internally there is a calculation kg--> ton but not consequent on the pages were it matters.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Yes, that's exactly the problem. The moment you accept the cargo contract 1000kg are counted as 1t. But no longer on the next screen. Which means that you can effectively fill your ship's safe with all the gold, platinum and gems in the Ooniverse. :shock: (Although it would be painful to get rid of all of it again.)