So when was your First Encounter (fnarr, fnarr) of Elite

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

I first encountered Elite (or one of its derivitives) on a...

BBC/Acorn
35%
Spectrum
12%
C64
26%
Amiga/Atari ST
7%
PC
8%
another 8bit machine I have failed to mention
5%
another 16/32bit machine I have failed to mention
2%
There was something else before Oolite?!?
5%

Total votes: 121

TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Looking forward to the bedpans and blanket baths then?
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Acorn Electron,

on a 5,5 inch floppy. in glorious wireframe 8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Davidtq »

I first played elite on the tatung einstein, the version was pretty much the same as spectrum elite.

Originally it was soley my dads game, but me and my younger brother got our hands on it eventually, we played it together with me handling the joystick and combat and him acting as co-pilot handling the keyboard, adjusting speeds targetting missiles hyperspace etc etc :lol:

Ive been waiting for elite 4 for a long time, and using allsorts of odd versions of elite, and emulators whilst waiting, only just discovered oolite... oh and introduced my dad to this version :lol:
polyh
Competent
Competent

Post by polyh »

Damn you're all old. :shock:

I've encountered Elite on my C64 for the first time - but that was in 1992. I wans't really interested in the game, I preferred buggy boy, giana sisters and every other game where you drove cars or flew planes. But more then games I've enjoyed programming (in BASIC, that is) of games. My parents offered me a 386 for making a vocbulary training program with some special features. I made it and got my PC in 1994, it was a 386DX-25 with 8 megs of RAM. The next major breakthrough was installing windows 95 and making it stable(!), although the requirements said 486DX. Well, it took almost exactly 15 minutes to boot, but that wasn't the point - having windows 95 was. :D

I've read about FFE in a magazine (I think it was called a crossplatform magazine called playtime) and found it quite interesting, so I made my parents buy it for me for christmas. A year later I made them buy M.A.X. btw. :D

And so FFE became the first Elite title I've played for quite some time. I really liked the range of handbooks you've got along with the game CD. They added alot to the flair. Having some background information and comments on the space ships was nice. I still remember the comments on the shuttle without having to look it up, it was like 'HAHAHAHAHAHAHA [...] enough said'. :D
And although the videos were quite crappy they somehow made it look at bit more crowded, a bit more real.

I've discovered Oolite some months ago but I've ignored it then. Whilst sorting some old favourite links I've again stumpled upon Oolite and this time gave it a try. I quite like the simplicity while still being in a somewhat familiar environment.
There are only 10 types of Jamesons in the Ooniverse. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Hi polyh. Old is a state of mind, I stopped getting old in 1988 when I was 17, which is why I still prefer The Wonder Stuff and Ned's Atomic Dustbin to this modern tosh, the Nissan 200SX (S13 - flip up headlight version) is still my favourite car (and I owned one for 4 years - although I had to wait until I was 30 to afford the insurance), it's why Max Headroom is probably the best show ever made, why the C64 was the best computer I've ever owned (and still own) and why Elite and now oolite is the best game ever... :lol:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Robbeasy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Robbeasy »

If we're really gonna get old school, lets raise an old old debate - i agree with everything Daddyhoggy said, except the Spectrum was Clearly a better 'puter than the C64... :twisted: :twisted:
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

I also agree with everything that DaddyHoggy said. In 1984, I had a Spectrum 48K and I loved it dearly. I also used to have those Spectrum vs. Beeb vs. C64 arguments with my mates in the schoolyard.

But looking back, I'm not so sure. The Spectrum sold a lot of units because it was built down to a price - and it showed, especially when you played "Atic Atak" or "Underwurlde" complete with colour-bleed graphics.

There are some videos on YouTube that show the games we used to play in the 80s, and when compared with the videos of the Beeb and the C64, the Spectrum doesn't fare too well.
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Thank you Thargoid. I still go all gooey at the sight of that little rubber-keyed machine... :roll:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@JB - I quite liked the speccy - although the thumb, finger, nose, big toe multiple keypresses required to program it used to drive me potty on the old rubber keyboard. My cousin had one and I spent many a happy hour playing 3D Starstrike - which I thought was fantastic - because my favourite arcade machine was (and still is) the sit-down version of the Star Wars game (I tried to buy one a few years ago but the guy wanted £8000 for it!).

Anyway, my "very happy with my C64" status was firmed up when both me and my cousin got Daley Thompson's Decathlon for our respective machines - mine in glorious 16 colour, 3 channel audio and his erm, in black and white, squeeky-bleepy audio :)

Those really were the days!
Selezen wrote:
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
@JB - I quite liked the speccy - although the thumb, finger, nose, big toe multiple keypresses required to program it used to drive me potty on the old rubber keyboard.
Yep, I know all about that one!
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Anyway, my "very happy with my C64" status was firmed up when both me and my cousin got Daley Thompson's Decathlon for our respective machines - mine in glorious 16 colour, 3 channel audio and his erm, in black and white, squeeky-bleepy audio :)
Just to illustrate the point:
Beach-Head on the Spectrum
Beach-Head on the C64
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@JB - can't see 'em. :(

To anybody else - anybody know how to make Youtube videos play in Firefox under Ubuntu? I used to have some 3rd party plug-in when I had 7.04 (Fiesty Fawn), but I can't remember what it was and/or find it again since I rebuilt my machine using 7.10 Gutsy. :(
Selezen wrote:
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I've tried to find some static screen grabs for comparison, but without much luck. But I did find an interview with a guy who has written a full colour book devoted to the C64. Thought you might be interested!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Add another vote for C64, or rather C128 running in C64 mode.
A few days after getting the machine set up, I had Elite running on it and an aftermarket Atari joystick plugged in. I played Elite every waking chance I got, rarely ran anything else on the Commodore.

So for me, Oolite is a much upgraded blast from the past. :D Thank you again, Giles.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

DaddyHoggy wrote:

To anybody else - anybody know how to make Youtube videos play in Firefox under Ubuntu? I used to have some 3rd party plug-in when I had 7.04 (Fiesty Fawn), but I can't remember what it was and/or find it again since I rebuilt my machine using 7.10 Gutsy. :(
You'll need the Flash plugin. For that, google for the Medibuntu site.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor