Oolite removed from Wikipedia Elite article

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

And he responded, totally missing the fact that there is no copyright infringement....

below quote is from that page ahruman linked to, which is the reply
who is afaik not a member of this board so dont pm him, he does not exist as a user on this bb
.--Marty Goldberg wrote:
"Likewise, you're assertion is incorrect. Wikipedia:Copyrights is a policy, and trumps WP:NOTCENSORED.--Marty Goldberg (talk) 16:37, 5 August 2008 (UTC)
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Elite ... eo_game%29"
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

FSOneblin wrote:
Just add it again, see if we can sneak it in.... in the mean time, lets get that guys ip address and have some fun :twisted:. So, yeah, yelling at him won't do anything, so let's take action, if we can't add it again, Let's get more people by putting flyers around were we live. If we can't do that, oh well, lets just move on.
Please do not start a revert war and/or attempt to “have fun” with his IP address.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Ahruman wrote:
FSOneblin wrote:
Just add it again, see if we can sneak it in.... in the mean time, lets get that guys ip address and have some fun :twisted:. So, yeah, yelling at him won't do anything, so let's take action, if we can't add it again, Let's get more people by putting flyers around were we live. If we can't do that, oh well, lets just move on.
Please do not start a revert war and/or attempt to “have fun” with his IP address.
Is there no way of having this adjudicated or is this 'person's' word law? It seems to be that Wikipedia is rapidly becoming less of a publically-accessable work and more of a heirarchy of IP lawyers.
Pathetic.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Perhaps somebody would like to write an article for "Knol", Google's answer to Wikipedia?

Google's Wikipedia rival, Knol, goes public
Knol and void: The day I became a published Google 'expert'
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Perhaps somebody would like to write an article for "Knol", Google's answer to Wikipedia?

Google's Wikipedia rival, Knol, goes public
Knol and void: The day I became a published Google 'expert'
Well volunteered, that man.

<EDIT TO ADD> I just had a peek at the article and there is a link there for a game Elite Starfighter, which is blatantly making links between itself and C64 Elite, WHICH THE AUTHOR APPEARS TO BE SELLING!!! Why has this not been removed?

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Ahruman wrote:
Revert War: That would be childish...
IP fun: I assure you it would not be an attempt.

However being civilized, i punish them in the best civil way i can,

I thrust Wikipedia less and less on the ground in this and other incidents..

I can´t read articels, that i know has possibly been tainted be a few allmighty editors intrepretation. read few as in compared the the number of users..

I cannot see the reason for this editing, unless there is directly something completely wrong with an article. Be it misinformation, or be it linking to illegal sites Warez etc.

looks likesomeone said

We must have guidelines...

And now behold the allmighty guidelines and a goof in a cellar with to much time on his hand... might be he is in his vacation... way to spend that.

I can nearly picture a comic on this, at
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php

which today is just way to funny :lol:

Edit:
Captain Hesperus wrote:
<EDIT TO ADD> I just had a peek at the article and there is a link there for a game Elite Starfighter, which is blatantly making links between itself and C64 Elite, WHICH THE AUTHOR APPEARS TO BE SELLING!!! Why has this not been removed?

Captain Hesperus
Cause its not safe to piss on a Company with money, that can drag you to court, which is however unlikely... someone more abled in the english vocabulary and langauge should make a note on that...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

If anyone's looking for a print citation to "demonstrate that the game [Oolite] itself is noted for being in the spirit of Elite", there's the "Elite A-Z" published in Retro Gamer 47, 2008, p25:
O is for Oolite – Excellent homage to Elite that started off life as an OpenGL Mac OS X title. It was created by Giles Williams.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Is there no way of having this adjudicated or is this 'person's' word law? It seems to be that Wikipedia is rapidly becoming less of a publically-accessable work and more of a heirarchy of IP lawyers.
As far as I’m aware, the person in question has no official status, other than being a member of the Video games wikiproject. Logical next steps would be to raise the issue there, or on the talk page for the project’s article guidelines. I’d rather not do it for obvious bias reasons.

Cites from Bell and Braben regarding acceptance of fan remakes would be helful too, although I continue to maintain that it’s not really relevant for Wikipedia inclusion. I myself have merely been assured that they’ve okayed it in general terms.