Oolite removed from Wikipedia Elite article

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Oolite removed from Wikipedia Elite article

Post by Rxke »

:( Guy who removed it says it is a homebrew clone with IP issues....

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... on=history

isn't Oolite a bit like FreeCiv? so no problems, or is Oolite really infringing?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Ach, just some wiki editor getting his (or her... no, let's face it, his) knickers in a twist over nothing. The article still links to the Elite wiki, though.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite removed from Wikipedia Elite article

Post by Frame »

Rxke wrote:
:( Guy who removed it says it is a homebrew clone with IP issues....

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... on=history

isn't Oolite a bit like FreeCiv? so no problems, or is Oolite really infringing?
That guy is an idiot, if i understand IP as in TCP/IP. (abbreviations should really be explained if they can mean several things)

The only thing afaik that Oolite uses IP for is for connecting with the debug console... so it is in there by default..

Just shows, he did not check up on why it used IP (if indeed it its the IP protocol)

Also regarding homebrew brew... and TNK was not a homebrew clone ? .

Regarding infringing.. maybe if they could make a buck at releasing a similar product.. but lets face it... it would be shot down in reviews all over the world..
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I'd guess he means IP being intellectual property, as in copyright etc.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Yes, Intellectual Property. He removed Pindler's stuff(TNK) too...

And I spotted he made a mistake in rearranging the infobox, he removed all the platforms for which ports were made, but he made an error: removed BBC and kept Archimedes... :?
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Thargoid wrote:
I'd guess he means IP being intellectual property, as in copyright etc.
Ahh ok Thanks... did try to google it.
and got this

Code: Select all

IP is an abbreviation for Information Provider
IP is an abbreviation for Innings Pitched
IP is an abbreviation for Intermediate Point
IP is an abbreviation for Internet Protocol
IP is an abbreviation for Identification Peculiarity
IP is an abbreviation for Image Processing
IP is an abbreviation for Index Pulse
IP is an abbreviation for Initial Point
IP is an abbreviation for Intermediate Pressure
IP is an abbreviation for Instruction Pointer
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Disembodied wrote:
Ach, just some wiki editor getting his (or her... no, let's face it, his) knickers in a twist over nothing. The article still links to the Elite wiki, though.
Ok, but it's still a bummer: lots of people used to find Oolite through the wiki article on Elite, I'd bet....
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

hmm not when i looked :S

but now i see... i even clicked un "current version"...

its sad to see wikipedia getting invaded by self rightous admins with attitude.. sort a like many BB moderators. that is a sure way to start alienating people...

i can see this particular editor is sweeping through all vidio games sections and editing them... i wonder if he gets a boner while doing this :-P

Seems they got these new "clone" guidelines... i would argue that everything is essential a clone of the first spacegames released.

Freelancer and Eve falls into that catagory too i would argue...

But since this is not a commercial product it is safe to take a piss at people, anyway i cant understand why they have to take into account infringement... and remove it from the article, since it is really none of their concerns... afaik, it is not illigal to link to open source projects, clones or not clones with IP issues, its should not be up to them to even bother with this aspect.. its like Censoring in communist China.

i´m pretty sure frontier has heard of oolite, and if they Dared, they would shut it down, like they did with TNK. But they dont, cause everybody got mad at them for doing that back then... if they actually developed and released Elite 4, i could understand it... but Elite 4.. is like a myth now... never going to happen, especially not since the release of EVE, which is prolly what Elite 4 would have been had frontier, not had their fingers up their special place for so long...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Too much of mom's cellar food would appear to have a detrimental effect on personal humility and relative self importance.

Wikipedia is an arse, Half my time there is spent refixing links and having pitch battles with the "well read, yet still ignorant".
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

removed because of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... te_content

Homebrew clones and remakes: These are generally included for self-promotion and may infringe on copyrighted works.
Based on: Wikipedia is not a soapbox

Lamers.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

# Homebrew clones and remakes: These are generally included for self-promotion and may infringe on copyrighted works.

Based on: Wikipedia is not a soapbox

Hmmm, I wonder if that applies to linux?
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

While I think we're pretty safe on the IP front, I can understand wikipedia's reasoning not to include homebrew remakes. Sadly there's no policy to exclude 'commercial clones and remakes', which would in one fell swoop clear wikipedia from some of the rubbish that's been churned out by game companies over the past few years.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Responded here. I don’t really care about the promotion aspect, but as a Wikipedian it strikes me as a dumb edit.
Ramirez wrote:
While I think we're pretty safe on the IP front, I can understand wikipedia's reasoning not to include homebrew remakes. Sadly there's no policy to exclude 'commercial clones and remakes', which would in one fell swoop clear wikipedia from some of the rubbish that's been churned out by game companies over the past few years.
Wikipedia doesn’t have a reasoning in the matter; the guideline in question is not a policy, it’s a project guideline.
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Just add it again, see if we can sneak it in.... in the mean time, lets get that guys ip address and have some fun :twisted:. So, yeah, yelling at him won't do anything, so let's take action, if we can't add it again, Let's get more people by putting flyers around were we live. If we can't do that, oh well, lets just move on.

Don't Panic: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

It looks like you've had a reply Ahruman and it's strikes me as slightly odd/overbearing/unpleasant in tone.

I've given up on Wikipedia - stopped using it for anything last year. I'm sure I'm not alone.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here