Can a Torus station blow up?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Can a Torus station blow up?

Post by JohnnyBoy »

I was leaving the Torus station at Xevera (G5, TL15) when my ship just exploded. While the "Press Space" text was on the screen, the background rolls round and round showing you what's left after your demise. The torus station was gone.

Could the station have exploded and taken me with it?
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Did something big hit the station (which then blew up taking you with it) and pushed the Torus out of orbit - Cap'n H tells a fantastic story of this happening with an Ixian ship many moons ago...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

It has been known for somethinmg large to launch fast from the station and wack you up the exhaust pipe........ press space commander!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

In Oolite 1.65 is was possible (in theory) to destroy a main station. Although immune to q-mines, the station has an energy of 50,000 and recharge of 100. Reduce its energy to zero and it would blow up like any other object in the game. In practice you couldn't normally destroy a station as no weapon available to you would do enough damage before the station could recharge. The Doomsday Asteroid can destroy a station as it has deals a massive amount of energy damage on impact. If you were to 'cheat' by modifying the weapons_energy of a missile to something silly like 99999999999, then a missile would destroy a station. I think on 1.70 onwards though the station is hard coded to be indestructable under normal circumstances. The updated version of asteroid storm destroys the station with the specifc command of blowUpStation.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Well in that case, it looks like TGHC's explanation seems the most likely...
TGHC wrote:
It has been known for somethinmg large to launch fast from the station and wack you up the exhaust pipe...
...and I also suspect there's a smutty joke in there somewhere as well... ;)
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."