Update to Asteroid Storm OXP - Bug Fix

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Update to Asteroid Storm OXP - Bug Fix

Post by LittleBear »

Version 3.46 is an updated version which fixes a bug. In the previous version only the Large Asteroids had a role. This meant that only these appeared in game (oops)! On the old version, only one new type of asteroid was added even though the OXP has the graphics and models to add 12 different types. The new version now works as intended and you will see a greater variety to the shapes and sizes of all asteroids in the Ooniverse. Only the graphics are changed, rocks are still rocks! With this version all of Charlie's asteroids now appear, rather than just one of them.

If you follow the link on my signature it'll take you to a Wiki Page where you can download the new version.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

That explains it. I removed this oxp as I kept having loads of the same large asteroid (attractive though it was)
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

EDIT: I no longer think this is an AsteroidStorm problem, Im pretty sure something isnt right in the trunk oolite-global-prefix.js.

When starting oolite (trunk) with AsteroidStorm oxp 3.46 installed (I know the output says 3,43, I checked, and that is the text in 3.46), I get the following:

Code: Select all

Warning: Player.fuelLeakRate is deprecated, use Player.ship.fuelLeakRate instead.
    Active script: "AsteroidStorm" 3.43
Warning (strict mode): reference to undefined property this[subName]
    oolite-global-prefix.js, line 138:
    		return this[subName][propName];
Exception: TypeError: this[subName] has no properties
    oolite-global-prefix.js, line 138:
    		return this[subName][propName];
I cannot find a reference to fuelLeaks anywhere in it, could you point me at the place where this is happening, so I can take a look? ( I guess it shoulnt be changed, as the new syntax probably isnt valid in 1.65, but Id like to fix it for my installed version anyway).
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Update to Asteroid Storm OXP - Bug Fix

Post by ovvldc »

LittleBear wrote:
If you follow the link on my signature it'll take you to a Wiki Page where you can download the new version.
I'd really like to, but neither your user page, nor the Asteroid Storm description page had any download links on it when I opened them.. :?

Best wishes,
Oscar
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Gosh, this JavaScript stuff causes some interesting bugs, doesn’t it?

On an unrelated note, AsteroidStorm.js uses LogWithClass(), which has been renamed log() and won’t be available after 1.72, and player.call("playSound:", foo) which should be replaced with sound objects for 1.71 and later.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Update to Asteroid Storm OXP - Bug Fix

Post by Cmdr James »

ovvldc wrote:
LittleBear wrote:
I'd really like to, but neither your user page, nor the Asteroid Storm description page had any download links on it when I opened them.. :?

Best wishes,
Oscar
His userpage links to the wiki page, which contains this link http://www.box.net/shared/8awv25rksk

I downloaded it from there earlier today, the link was fine then.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I have identified the problem in AsteroidStorm. I had thought I’d fixed this problem before, but I think I just pushed it to the back of my mind. It’s a combination of a bug in the way JS objects are set up in Oolite, and a bug in AsteroidStorm.js. The AsteroidStorm bug is this:

for (var i in this.badOolite) // line 31
This code iterates over all properties of an object (in arbitrary order), except ones hidden by the host application. An array can have properties other than indices. The bug in Oolite causes properties intended only for certain objects to be added to all objects.

The fix in AsteroidStorm.js is to replace the above line with:

for (let i = 0; i < badOolite.length; ++i)
The fix in Oolite is rather more complicated, but I can change the prefix script to avoid triggering it in this case.
tinker
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tinker »

While checking all my installed OXP's for case problems I noticed that astorm08.dat and astorm10.dat both use astorm08.png and nothing uses astorm10,png.
Could be it was meant to be or just a slip up - doesn't stop it working, just thought I'd let you know.

More important perhaps is the error messages I get in stderr when running with this oxp loaded.

2008-08-18 13:43:34.014 oolite[6691] [script.javaScript.warning.206]: ----- JavaScript warning: Mission.missionScreenTextKey is deprecated and read-only.
2008-08-18 13:43:34.016 oolite[6691] [script.javaScript.warning.206]: ----- JavaScript warning: Mission.imageFileName is deprecated and read-only.
2008-08-18 13:43:34.016 oolite[6691] [script.javaScript.warning.206]: ----- JavaScript warning: Mission.musicFileName is deprecated and read-only.
2008-08-18 13:43:34.016 oolite[6691] [script.javaScript.warning.206]: ----- JavaScript warning: Mission.choicesKey is deprecated and read-only.
2008-08-18 13:43:34.016 oolite[6691] [script.javaScript.warning.206]: ----- JavaScript warning: Mission.instructionsKey is deprecated and read-only.
CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Post by CmdrLUke »

I can't get the mission to trigger -- I think I'm in the right system, according to the hint, I've seen tons of asteroids on the way to the station including a huge one, I get to the station, but no mission starts.....?

I'm "competent", which should be enough for the mission, according to the readme...

I'm running AsteroidsStorm 346

edti: never mind, I'm as blind as a bat again. Too much oolite in a row this holiday weekend :) I was in the wrong system.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Fun bug in Asteroid Storm: the “stationbits” pseudo-ship has the roles string “station-alloy alloy(0.1)”. Any roles string that contains the substring “station” marks the ship as a station, even if it’s not a whole word. This means that 1 out of every 21 alloys generated (assuming no other OXP-defined alloys) will be a station and respond to auto-docking requests. They can also potentially become the main station if the real main station is blown up.

Unfortunately, there is no way to indicate that an entity with “station” or “carrier” in its role string is not a station/carrier. For 1.72, I’m changing it so that isCarrier = no; works in that case.

Also, insert general rant about overly generic names here.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Ahruman wrote:
Also, insert general rant about overly generic names here.
Yeah, the name-thing again... :wink: