Possible bug in Griff's Kraits?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Possible bug in Griff's Kraits?

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Griff's Kraits happen to have considerably weak shielding in the front.
Using Milhud, I can put the red sight pipper right on an incoming Krait's cockpit, and a very short burst of military laser fire later he's vaporized. My laser barely gets warmed in the less than a second time it takes to ash him.

They can absorb somewhat more punishment in the sides and rear.

A bug, or by design?
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

What's happening is that by attacking the krait 'head-on', your laser shots are able to hit the ships hull directly (i think the hull is rather weak (max energy of 110 in the .plist), once the hull's energy is reduced to 0 the ship explodes. By attacking from the side/rear of the krait your shots may occasionally hit one of the 'subentities' on the hull, these are the fuel scoop, ecm, energy booster, fuel injectors & left/right laser guns, these all have their own max_energy settings, and have to be worn down to 0 before they explode and your shots can get through to the hull.

I'm not a fan of tough ships but maybe the griff_kraits are a bit too weak? I can't remember where i took their stats from but if anybody can suggest some better numbers i'd be more than happy to update the oxp - i haven't playtested it that much!
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

I have to admit that I have found them a bit weaker than normal ships, so I tend to target them first if they are in groups. But I don't think thats a bad thing. The Ooniverse needs variety. And whenever I have found them they usually tend to be balanced by having powerful guns!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The normal Kraits have an energy of 250. So perhaps 110 for the Griff Krait is a bit weak. Probably you reduced it in order to compensate for the subentities having energy themselves?
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

dalek501 wrote:
And whenever I have found them they usually tend to be balanced by having powerful guns!
It may be fairly easy to exploit their weakness and blow them away with a short burst, but since you have to fly right into their sights to do so, it takes nerves of steel - and a shield booster! :lol:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

As I only have about 20 ship OXPs installed ATM, I come across Griff Kraits quite often. I think the weak hull is a nice balance. A single lone ship is little threat as you can find him and melt him quickly. But when attacking in a group, you have to identify the Griff Krait quickly before he does too much damage, as you can't tell immedatley which of the red blips is the Griff Krait. As its a light fighter it seems fair enough to be able to melt it's cockpit quickly (if you can hit it) and it compensates for its heavy guns.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Look out what you're asking for because maybe Griff Ltd returns to the market with an MK2 version? You never know 8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

pagroove wrote:
Look out what you're asking for because maybe Griff Ltd returns to the market with an MK2 version? You never know 8)
I said it was easy. Easy as in it doesn't tax a mil laser at all to get in a cockpit kill on a Griff Krait. The trick is getting that cockpit kill, and that takes some skill plus pure dumb luck.

- It's very good to have some skill in sniping, and a sniping aid such as the red dot pipper on the Milhud don't hurt. The Griff Krait's cockpit is a small target on a small ship.

- The Griff Krait has to be running straight for you in order to draw a bead on the cockpit. Which means you have to brave it's twin lasers, as the perfect firing solution for you means he's got a chance to shoot a few holes in you before you kill him, especially if your shields are hammered.

Makes for a mean game of chicken, don't it? :twisted:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC