White Knuckle Ride

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

bob19
Above Average
Above Average

White Knuckle Ride

Post by bob19 »

Hi all
Stumbled on Oolite by accident when playing with ubuntu. Could not believe I had found my favourite game of all time (first game I ever purchased was frontier).
Took a while before some of the old skills returned. Still bang the walls on occasion when docking
Running
1.71.2 test on amd 2ghz 1gb ram and a crappy 5500 agp card. The game runs quite well slows down on occasion when ships and asteroids come in view but no real problems.
OXPs
commies, local hero, random hits, custom sounds (love this one), dredger, ett beacon, fuel tank and ore processor. Did have deep space pirates but seemed to put too much strain on the system.
Local Hero. What a ride mission 1 was.
Left the station full of confidence and loaded for bear (Ye old cobra mk111 with all the goodies). Cruised around nothing happening, ok go back to the station and maybe do a trade run. Left the station much humbled after the dressing down from the knarly dude. :oops:
Alarms begin, things go red, lasers coming from seemed like everywhere, missiles fly like confetti, boom dead. :shock:
Need new plan . Cascade mine looks interesting :evil:. Off we go again, not so confident. Alarms begin, red ahead, hit injectors and get amongst them, drop mine, injectors away!! 8)
Screen fills with bounty info, scanner filled with white objects, what the hell that seemed like a lot from 5 pirates, next minute the cops are after my backside. I think I accidentally took out a convoy.
Reloaded.
Off we go.
Here they come missiles and lasers, 2 down and captured, now things are looking a little better. Next 3 didn't fare so good, forgot to hit the brake and splattered them on the screen like bugs.
My thanks to all.
flimflam_machine
Above Average
Above Average

Post by flimflam_machine »

I'd like to try local hero. However, when I expand the zip file, I get a folder full of stuff, rather than an oxp file and a readme. Should I just drop the entire folder into the AddOns folder?
bob19
Above Average
Above Average

Post by bob19 »

The expanded folder should be named localhero_1_05.oxp Worthwhile having a quick look through both readme files.
Just drop that folder into the Oolite/AddOns folder, hold down shift while Oolite loads and you should be ok