Joystick (again?)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
I've not tried it on Linux yet, and don't ask me about it on Vista. I wouldn't touch Vista with your fingers!
(And I suspect it, like damned near everything else, won't work on Vista. :evil: )
pacrox wrote:
Considering your opinion about Vista, you will try Linux sooner than you think... just try with Ubuntu...
Actually, I have a Linux install. PCLinuxOS with KDE 3.5.x. :) It recognized all my hardware and was fairly painless to get set up, which is more than what I could say for Ubuntu. Ubuntu, sorry to say, didn't want to play well on my hardware.
I should grab the Oolite v 1.71.2 autopackage and see how well it behaves on PCLOS.

The only reason I keep XP around is for gaming; I don't trust windows on the net.
pacrox wrote:
Vista is the best friend of Mac OSX and Linux... thanks Mr.Gates, oops I mean Mr.Ballmer.
Hehe, you got that right! They hate OSX and open source, going by the patent trolling threats and FUD they make towards the same. Yet, they unleash the biggest software failure since ME, that nobody with half a brain wants to bother with... Go figure.
Somebody please pack them into cargo containers, so that I may have the pleasure of ejecting them into the sun of some forgotten anarchy system. :twisted:

-- Wyvern
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Yet, they unleash the biggest software failure since ME, that nobody with half a brain wants to bother with... Go figure.
Hmmm? I thought that ME was quite okay, the failure was Windows 2000???

But it may be that I'm not informed sufficiently, never having owned any OS from Mr. Gates' garage myself.
pacrox
Average
Average

Post by pacrox »

The only thing I can say is the I'm tired to be burgled by Microsoft, being forced to pay for Windows (wich I really don't use) each time I buy a laptop...

Thanks to Dell, now we can "DOWNGRADE" from Windows Whatever to FreeDOS... ha, ha, ha, you won't steal again my money, Mr. RichestManInTheWorld...

Open Source for Open Minded... but this is quite OffTopic...

Gimme some pirates, I want to shot them down with my joystick...

Ciao
Pasquale
Ebi
Competent
Competent

Post by Ebi »

At least the joysticks and soundcards work under Windows;) This Thrustmaster joystick does not need any driver, I would expect it to work with Linux without any trouble. I'm pretty sure it does not support force feedback. It's quite new, until now I use it exclusively with Oolite.

I've checked the SDL version, Pasquale. Its 1.2.11.0, the library comes along with Oolite 1.71.2-test.
pacrox
Average
Average

Post by pacrox »

Ebi wrote:
At least the joysticks and soundcards work under Windows;) This Thrustmaster joystick does not need any driver, I would expect it to work with Linux without any trouble. I'm pretty sure it does not support force feedback. It's quite new, until now I use it exclusively with Oolite.

I've checked the SDL version, Pasquale. Its 1.2.11.0, the library comes along with Oolite 1.71.2-test.
I had few problems at the very beginning with the Force Feedback because I didn't knew I had to load the module "iforce" in the kernel. Without that the joystick can not work and it get rejected from the USB chain.

Using 'jsconfigurator' under X (Gnome) I see all the axis (5) and all the buttons (7). So in a way linux seems to see it.

Now the point is: if also Windows uses SDL and Windows user are able to play with the Trusthmasted FOX2, than it's definitively a problem on my side... otherwise it may be just a "non supported device", which, presonally, I don't think it's the case.

Thanks a lot,
Pasquale
Ebi
Competent
Competent

Post by Ebi »

Ebi wrote:
I'm pretty sure it does not support force feedback.
Actually I was talking about the joystick.
greenco
Above Average
Above Average

Post by greenco »

I am using a Microsoft Sidewinder Pro 2 joystick with Oolite running under Ububtu 8.04 and up until today it worked great. I installed Oolite version 1.72.2 today and in the process of trying to fix a "YAW" problem I have messed up my joystick settings. It does exactly like the author's problem. It will use any of the buttons, but it will not let me assign either of the axis controls. Now I can not get it to work on either of the two versions of Oolite. I do not have Windows installed on my computer so I cannot test anything outside of Linux.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Fraid I can't help with your joystick, Don't know anything about linux or mac, but know enough about windows never to get an OS that isn't at least proven over a few years. Currently using xp with a logitech ATK 3. Works fandabby dozzy, 11 buttons and 3 axis so takes care of virtually all inflight controls, only 'H' and 'G' still on key board.
Wee problem, I know yaw is like rudder control, but it requires an axis control? my 3 are already in use. pitch, roll, thrust.
Q is... is there keyboard controls for it?
Must admit I've never used yaw, don't even know if elite had it?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I've got one of these. Seems to work faultlessly under XP and Ubuntu - I use the left/right of the right-hand thumbstick for Yaw control - no problems at all
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I just use a good old keyboard with default layout... Suits me just fine.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.