Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Is destruction the only way?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Not if you're in a SuperCobra with a Naval Energy Unit, Military Shield Enhancement and an ice-cold Mil laser.... :twisted:
The only Kobayashi Maru for that being the Purple Haze, when it decides to give you an E-bomb as a parting gift... :roll:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Thargoid wrote:
JohnnyBoy wrote:
Not if you're in a SuperCobra with a Naval Energy Unit, Military Shield Enhancement and an ice-cold Mil laser.... :twisted:
The only Kobayashi Maru for that being the Purple Haze, when it decides to give you an E-bomb as a parting gift... :roll:
Or there 2 of them. Oh look at the pretty lights! Hang on where's my ship gone?

Why not go the whole hog? Give into your sado-masochistic streak and create the "noisy cricket" 1/2 the speed of light, military everything, 8 fore, 8 aft , a missile rack bigger than Samatha Fox's and only avalable to people with a psychotic disposition. Players should feel bowel churning DREAD when loading up this game, joy is not an option. It's not about having fun it's about proving that your oxp can ruthlessly kill any human that dares to go near it.

To program anything less is simply not manly. :D
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

There is a trick to dealing with them. THEY only have beam lasers and so only have a range of 10KM. However Military Lasers have a range of 25KM. So if you come to a dead stop and keep your distance you can vapouries a rattle before it can even come in range with its own guns. :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

or don't "add on" it at all. Such atrocities completely destroy the golden pillar of up close and personal ship murder and have no place in my universe. -.-

It's like someone bringing a blow torch to a fist fight, it's just not right.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

LittleBear wrote:
So if you come to a dead stop and keep your distance you can vapouries a rattle before it can even come in range with its own guns. :wink:
And alternatively you can kill them from quit close. They are only deadly at intermediately distance. Stay close and start by destroying some of his laser guns. When you now loose close distance he has less fire power to shoot at you. One of those beast is never a problem, only with two, you can't stay close to both.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

LittleBear wrote:
H.M.S. Adams.

:D

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Jar wrote:
:cry: Spent two days and failed to cause even one forced eject! This is not easy. Many ships just explode; a mil laser is not easy to regulate.
You have time to practise until 1.72 gets released. LB found a major problem in the oxp. Until now we only developed the oxp with use of custom created derelicts. Now we discovered that for, in-fight created, derelicts the maximum speed is redefined at zero. This is hardcoded, no bypassing possible. :evil: This means we now will create a test release were derelicts are randomly script added. It will be a playable version but we need changes in Oolite itself to let the player created fly to the dredger. It won't be before 1.72

To the derelict creation itself. I think sparks are started when the energy drops below 25% and pilots decides to eject when energy drops below 10%. So you must be at the lower end of the sparking. I tried it yesterday with 3 anacondas. From 2 I got a derelict, the 3th just exploded.
Jar
Competent
Competent

Post by Jar »

I finally got one eject. I was very far away and my laser was over heated. Which leads me to ask:

1) Do mil lasers fire less energy at the target when they are firing from an over heat? I was holding the fire button down and letting them auto fire on cool down.

2) Do laser hit with less energy at the target when fired from a long distance?

If either 1 or 2 lowers the impact enery it would help to avoid blowing them up. I seem to just blow everything up that's venting when I shoot at it. Perhaps I'm too close?
Both 1 and 2 were unusual for me. I don't normaly attack from that distance and I don't normaly fire the lasers hot. So I'm thinking one or both helped me to not blast it to bits.

Oddly it was an Asp II special that I got to eject and not one of the big ships.
Jar
Have fuel scoop will travel.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Eric Walch wrote:
Jar wrote:
:cry: Spent two days and failed to cause even one forced eject! This is not easy. Many ships just explode; a mil laser is not easy to regulate.
You have time to practise until 1.72 gets released. LB found a major problem in the oxp. Until now we only developed the oxp with use of custom created derelicts. Now we discovered that for, in-fight created, derelicts the maximum speed is redefined at zero. This is hardcoded, no bypassing possible. :evil: This means we now will create a test release were derelicts are randomly script added. It will be a playable version but we need changes in Oolite itself to let the player created fly to the dredger. It won't be before 1.72

To the derelict creation itself. I think sparks are started when the energy drops below 25% and pilots decides to eject when energy drops below 10%. So you must be at the lower end of the sparking. I tried it yesterday with 3 anacondas. From 2 I got a derelict, the 3th just exploded.
yeah i 2nd that with my own derelict code whereby i just switch its AI to route1traderAI instead of the old AI whereby it just tumbled... with dumbAI.plist.. the code takes care of its detruction (if boobytrapped), and the spawn of the virtual damage device whereby the player gets hurt...

the derelict ship sets its course oright, but just gets stuck there, usefull though for defense platforms, but yeah maxspeed should be read/write..
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Thougt a little about this OXP. I think it can also be used as a unit that can do very good things like freeing slaves. What about putting the unit to use to free the slaves. This slave 'freeing' was requested earlier but the salvage drone seems like a good tool for it. And we could have Slave transports (special modified Anacondas and Boa's)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

This is truly a fantastic board! I've been two weeks without logging in, and what do I find? An 8 pages long thread and an OXP - and one wanted by the comoonity for a long time, at that! :shock:

After spending the last hour or three reading the thread, here are few late ideas:

- A modified (and more expensive) version of the drone to be sold only to criminals at illegal outposts; instead of calling a dredger, it'd home on the nearest chop shop or pirate den. If no suitable dock is available on the system, it'd either try to hyperspace to another system (and the player should follow or lose the ship) or move slowly while ejecting all its cargo in a straight line to prevent the loss of most of the cargo when the player finally destroys the ship

- An add-on for assassins, some targets' ships would have to be brought instead of destroyed, as they may be carrying precious cargo, or a data bank, or hostages

- A mission to hijack an unpowered prototype under its defenders' olfactory apparatus

I may come up with something else later. :wink:

@pagroove: What are you talking about, is there such an oxp on the make too? :D
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

@Cmndr Maegil>

No as far as I know there isn't such an OXP yet.
I assume that you mean Random Hits instead of Assassins?
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

D'oh! :oops:
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
hircus
Competent
Competent

Thargoid robot fighters?

Post by hircus »

One ship type that strikes me as being very useful to salvage is the thargoid robot figher. It's totally controlled by the mother ship, which means that at the end of a space battle you will see a lot of abandoned fighters in mint condition.

The bounty for destroying them starts from 50 and goes up (I've seen a max of 114 so far). Surely they will be worth more if captured intact?
Captain Hesperus

Re: Thargoid robot fighters?

Post by Captain Hesperus »

hircus wrote:
One ship type that strikes me as being very useful to salvage is the thargoid robot figher. It's totally controlled by the mother ship, which means that at the end of a space battle you will see a lot of abandoned fighters in mint condition.

The bounty for destroying them starts from 50 and goes up (I've seen a max of 114 so far). Surely they will be worth more if captured intact?
If taken intact, they can be sold as Alien Items.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!