Sound Revolution

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

staggerlee
Competent
Competent

Sound Revolution

Post by staggerlee »

Hi.

I have had some ideas about radically improving the sound in Oolite. Here are my suggestions. I have already posted a couple of them in the expansion pack thread, but it occurred to me that they are suggestions so should be incorporated here. Furthermore, I have added some new ideas too. I think sound is one area where Oolite could be improved, and I see no reason why not?

1. I have designed a load of royalty free sounds using synths and DAWs. Some of them are designed for events that, as yet, have no associated sound i.e. enemy ship explosions. Others are designed to rest the overused "beep" sound that fills in for lots of events. How can I reassign events to different sounds?

2. I have had an idea for dynamic in-game music. It is a simple idea. I have developed some very gentle ambient music ("normal") that works in space. I have also developed a version of the ambient music that takes on a threatening, cinematic edge to it ("combat"). My idea is this: the "normal" ambient plays during ordinary space flight, but whenever you are attacked (i.e. someone turns "red" on the scanner) the music switches to the "combat" threatening version. I have programmed a transition into the beginning of the action music so it doesn't just pop up out of nowhere. I know that Oolite struggles with in game music, but perhaps this could be handled through the itunes integration, and players could simply rename two tracks "normal" and "combat" (mine, someone else's dedicated tracks, or just their own music) and Oolite would send a message toggling between them in appropriate circumstances? This adds a whole range of possibilities to the game.

3. Can Oolite, rather than play a standard sample for each event (i.e. "laserhit") instead choose randomly from a small selection of samples (i.e. "laserhit1", "laserhit2" etc...). I propose to make very slight modifications to a sound in order to make these events seem more organic, less scripted.

4. I am up for "covering" the intro Oolite music to give it a more modern flavour. Would there be support for this? Am I allowed to take the two main themes and "remix" them? If so, people can choose for themselves which versions to use, they are easily switchable.

I think that's it. I have other ideas too if someone is up for brainstorming. I think Oolite would be improved without sacrificing its spirit by some richer sounds
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Some great ideas there!

AFAIK it's possible to specify sounds and stuff through the OXP system - I know a few sound OXPs have came out, but I'm not sure if they are replacements (i.e. getting rid of the original sounds and overwriting them with new ones) or options that can be installed through an OXP...

Worth looking into it though. Have a look in the wiki's OXP list to see if there's anything listed there that you can use as a reference!

And welcome to the Forum!
Ace Garp
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ace Garp »

A man after my own heart!

I too am busy with a replacement soundset (competition makes us both stronger ;-) as sound design and music are about the only skills I currently have to offer to the Ooniverse, so I'm going to give what I can!

I would there to be more options for in-game music without resorting to iTunes.

So far the best info I've found are these: -
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t= ... ight=music
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=3662

Am I correct in thinking that the only sounds I can currenlty replace are those in the customsounds.plist (with replacement names), and those in the sounds and music folders?

I look forward to hearing your stuff staggerlee.
I'm thinking of doing a more 'traditional' replacement more the main theme, as well as a much more 'modern' one.
JonB
Average
Average

NO, not the intro music

Post by JonB »

Please don't mess with the theme - it has a lovely menacing feel to it.

Or, if you do, give me the option to switch it back on!
BobSongs
Competent
Competent

Mmmm.

Post by BobSongs »

Just browsing through posts... checkin' out some of the ideas. And I can say: this one's a double thumbs up from me.

The basic original sounds are ... okay. They'll do for now, but a solid reworking of the intro music, the ambient music, etc. ... good idea.

I would not personally opt for "normal" music because I think it would soon grow tiring to have the same 2 minutes of music repeated endlessly. Option: a white noise set for "normal" would be interesting, I think. Something like the bridge of the Enterprise where there's a gentle variety of soft beeps, bleeps and such. But please: no "red alert" sound from the NCC-1701! Yikes.

I liked the way the music worked in Wing Commander: change of feel considering the settings.

I agree with the idea of subtle changes between laser hits. But ... I think I prefer the soundless explosions of enemy ships.
Stromboli
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Stromboli »

I've made a little music in garageband that uses very little internal loops from the program...if it'd be helpful.

Biggest sounds in my mind that need to be replaced are the:

1.Lasers
2.Shields getting hit
3.Hitting another ship
4.Explosions
Space Pirate, and a proud Mac Us-arrr!