Trouble with Trumbles

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

BobSongs
Competent
Competent

Trouble with Trumbles

Post by BobSongs »

Greets.

System: Athlon XP 2000+
RAM: 512 Mb
System: Ubuntu Linux, Hardy Heron 8.04.1
Oolite Version: 1.71.2
Ship: Cobra Mark III (No, that's not rust... get away from there!)

Troubles with Trumbles
I have an "iron ass"; so heat shields are installed. In the vicinity of the sun with heat rising wildly, temperature guage warning of impending peril, the fertile trumbles showed no signs of distress!

Suddenly the external shields melted away followed by the rapid draining of the energy banks. No sign of trumble distress. Still drifting joyfully.

BAMMMM!!!! Explosion. The familiar Press space to continue message yellow before me with the sounds of happy, cooing trumbles in my ears. How distressing.

So, effectively, unless someone hands me some kind of radiation weapon I can use aboard my Cobra Mark III, I cannot eliminate these food-devouring buggers from my decks.

Awww, dang! They're at the wires! Why was I so stupid as to buy these... Arrgh.

Suggestions?

[More Info:]
Current OXPs Installed:
  • behemoth 2.2
    boyracers
    Galactic_Navy
    globestations
    GrittyCoriolis
    lane_legal
    Lave
    Missionaries
    Ore_processor
    sunskimmers
    Zz-Oo-Haul
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

I´ll try and reproduce the effect..

without the OXPs... reporting back asap
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Greetings,

From memory, when I did it that way I had the temp gauge flashing red, then about-faced and balanced up the temperature (back to red) then dived in and out like that until the little blighter cooked.

Then a nice dinner with the BBQ sauce of course.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Don't get too close to the Sun! The nearer you are the quicker the gauge goes up. The cooking temperature for trumbles is when the bar is flashing. Much hotter than this and you'll burn up. Trumbles need a few seconds at cooking temperature before the start to get distressed and a few more seconds of being distress before they start kealing over. If your too close you burn up before they're done. Fly towards the sun on J jump. But stop every so often. Is your cabin temp going up (albeit slowly) ? If so stop there and wait. If not head in a bit nearer and check again. Once you find the sweet spot where you are still a fair way from the sun, but near enough to start heating up the hull slowly, get a cup of tea from the drinks dispenser and wait for the hull to gradually reach the flashing level. Because the rate of heating is slow you can keep it at killing heat for long enough to kill the trumbles without it getting so hot you cook yourself. You don't want to be as near as you would be for fuel scooping. :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Thargoid is right, i just killed trumble, you need to be very carefull.. you watch when the Temp bar starts to rise... go back and forth, it takes about a couple of minuttes to proberly BBQ a trumble. the bar needs to be flashing red...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Frame wrote:
Thargoid is right, i just killed trumble, you need to be very carefull.. you watch when the Temp bar starts to rise... go back and forth, it takes about a couple of minuttes to proberly BBQ a trumble. the bar needs to be flashing red...

... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:. Why? Why? I would of adopted it, and took geed care of it, and and and :cry: :cry: :evil: I'll kill you!!!!!!!!! With worm keys! there will be blood! On my hands! Just like the time I killed my slave master! You will burn in Hell! Witch is Aegidian's job I think...

Die!: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Trouble with Trumbles

Post by Eric Walch »

BobSongs wrote:
Troubles with Trumbles
I have an "iron ass"; so heat shields are installed. In the vicinity of the sun with heat rising wildly, temperature guage warning of impending peril, the fertile trumbles showed no signs of distress!
But why kill those cute little creatures till the last one? The nice part of trumbles it that there are always a few quite heat resistant. When they start to get a plague, kill the majority in the usual way and go on with the few survivors.

Maybe you even create your own strain of heat resistant trumbles this way. Some people will give good money for such trumbles. I think such trumbles will we good for cleaning jobs in the exhaust system during flight.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Trouble with Trumbles

Post by Frame »

Eric Walch wrote:
BobSongs wrote:
Troubles with Trumbles
But why kill those cute little creatures till the last one? The nice part of trumbles it that there are always a few quite heat resistant. When they start to get a plague, kill the majority in the usual way and go on with the few survivors.

Maybe you even create your own strain of heat resistant trumbles this way. Some people will give good money for such trumbles. I think such trumbles will we good for cleaning jobs in the exhaust system during flight.
he would´nt let me brush his teeth.. so when he came to lick me after a long sleep, the first thing i smelled was faul breath... and when he drank my last bottle of Scotch, and i happend to me closer to the sun than the stations.. i decieded to have a BBQ, since with sun comes BBQ, and beer!!! ;-)
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Scotch flavor trumble burger. Mmmmmm lovely!
BobSongs
Competent
Competent

Mhmm.

Post by BobSongs »

My daughter says: "Save the Trumbles, kill the whales."

Well. I'm sorry to cause such trumble... er, trouble, but in version 1.65 the flashing gauge was all the little blighters needed before they fell from their various positions into my open hamburger bun.

But the cooing in the dead of space... well, that was just insult to injury. :wink: Being more than I could stand I thought I'd post a bug report.

:roll: Now, if this is the "enhanced" or "new" technique on how to eliminate trumbles, that's fine... and forgive the pointless post.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Nothing to forgive matey, it was a good post. As far as cooking is concerned, I've found that a long slow burn, getting the kitchen as hot as you can take it without setting it on fire works!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"