wrongly assigned subentities?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

wrongly assigned subentities?

Post by Commander McLane »

During an epic battle with a Thargoid Carrier (revising the OXP right now) I got the following messages in my logfile. I don't really understand them, but I hope the code-monkeys can make something of it:
[ship.subentity.sanityCheck.failed.details]: Attempt to set subentity taking damage of <StationEntity 0x1847000>{"Thargoid Carrier"} to <ShipEntity 0x1e77600>{"Imperial Courier Engine" ID: 0 position: (-69, -12.4, 0) scanClass: CLASS_NOT_SET status: STATUS_INACTIVE}, which is not a subentity.
[ship.subentity.sanityCheck.failed]: Attempt to set subentity taking damage of <StationEntity 0x1847000>{"Thargoid Carrier"} to (null), which is not a ship.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Got it again. This time I wasn't part of the fight, or even present:
[ship.subentity.sanityCheck.failed.details]: Attempt to set subentity taking damage of <ShipEntity 0x1ebf400>{"GalCop Viper"} to <ShipEntity 0x1eb8800>{"Arc Detail" ID: 0 position: (0, 0, 0) scanClass: CLASS_NOT_SET status: STATUS_INACTIVE}, which is not a subentity.
[ship.subentity.sanityCheck.failed]: Attempt to set subentity taking damage of <ShipEntity 0x1ebf400>{"GalCop Viper"} to (null), which is not a ship.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Scrutening the errors seems as if the roles got switched, the police viper became a subentity when damage was dealt, however it is a ship, therefore the code segfaults... and the Arc detail which is a subentity of the the coriolis station is trying to take damage as if it where a ship, but it is not, it is a ship...

My guees is that your shipdata.plist is faulty somewhere, so that ships sometimes gets to be subentities, and vice verca...

edit:

fetching a cup of coffee, i think there should be visual errors as well , if my speculation case is right...

Try exterior viewing of the imperial courier, and try and see if the coriolis station got all its four arcs...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Don't know. Hasn't happened since. I'll keep my eyes open.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Hmm. This is the game getting confused about what ship owns a give subentity. It is a bug in the game, not a shipdata.plist problem. The second message in each case is a bug in the error-reporting code.

It would be helpful to have the version of the OXP which is apparently triggering the problem.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Ahruman wrote:
It would be helpful to have the version of the OXP which is apparently triggering the problem.
I think the OXP in Question is Thargoid Threat
since
Commander McLane wrote:
"During an epic battle with a Thargoid Carrier (revising the OXP right now)"
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Frame wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
since
Commander McLane wrote:
Yes. And I assume it’s not the generally-available version
since
Commander McLane wrote:
"(revising the OXP right now)"
;-)
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

To much sun and BBQ and BeeR!!!!.. naaah, just me..
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Frame wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
since
Commander McLane wrote:
That's a somehow correct assumption, as the Thargoid Carrier has nothing to do with Thargoid Threat (which is - by the way - called "Thorgorn Threat"), but the more so with Thargoidcarrier.oxp. And this is indeed what Selezen is revising (and I was helping with the scripting part of that).

But, as you already said:
To much sun and BBQ and BeeR!!!!
@ Ahruman: Hi! Long time no see! :D I PM you the download link.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Frame wrote:
Scrutening the errors seems as if the roles got switched, the police viper became a subentity when damage was dealt, however it is a ship, therefore the code segfaults...
Incidentally, where’d you get the segfault from? Oolite is quite capable of noticing that something’s wrong and complaining about it without crashing. Sometimes. :-)
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Ahruman wrote:
Incidentally, where’d you get the segfault from? Oolite is quite capable of noticing that something’s wrong and complaining about it without crashing. Sometimes. :-)
More Beer!!!! ;-)
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

Dunno if this has anything to do with this, but I just came across a Tharg carrier in witchspace launching GalCop Vipers. I took a gap in the launches as an opportunity to dock with the beast. Nice of them to let me refuel and buy a few baubles, is this some kind of alien chivalric code?

To my suprise, when I relaunched, I found the big bugger had brought me back to the system I misjumped from... hmmm?

Seemed to be behaving more like a Behemoth than a Tharg.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Commander Mysenses wrote:
To my suprise, when I relaunched, I found the big bugger had brought me back to the system I misjumped from... hmmm?
That's a feature in Oolite's docking code. You may dock with whatever in interstellar space, but as soon as you leave it, it will always have jumped into one of the adjacent systems. That's the reason why it wouldn't be a good idea to script a dockable station in interstellar space. If the player would dock and launch again, the whole station would have mysteriously moved into normal space. :shock:

And by the way: The upcoming release of Thargoidcarrier.oxp won't allow the player to dock anymore. :wink: