Booty Haul

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

rollen
Competent
Competent

Booty Haul

Post by rollen »

I emerged from hyperspace and was scanning the area before making my way to the station when I noticed a few flashes in the upper quadrant. Upon investigating what I thought was a small meteor shower I was pleasantly surprised to see about fifty cargo crates floating in mid-space minding their own business and without any evidence of piracy or collision. I duly collected this bonus cargo of 35 tonnes of computers and scuttled off to the nearest low tech planet.
Was this a glitch, possibly due to just uploading the Oo-haul oxp? Or had a transport lorry for PC World just imploded due to the driver's sense of remorse at their lack of after-sales service?

Any comments on this would be welcome and my apologies to the CEO of PC World.
"time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas"
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Generally, that sort of thing is the result of a battle, with the surviving participants having left. Either a large pirate was killed by police, or a trader was killed by a pirate with no scoop/insufficient cargo space. (Yes, they really do that sort of thing when you’re not around.)
rollen
Competent
Competent

Post by rollen »

I see - it just seemed very unusual for such a large amount of cargo to all be floating free, the most i can zap out of a python is 5 or 6 cargo containers. Never mind I am not complaining and it all adds to my savings for a Millenium Falcon!
"time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas"
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

rollen wrote:
I see - it just seemed very unusual for such a large amount of cargo to all be floating free, the most i can zap out of a python is 5 or 6 cargo containers. Never mind I am not complaining and it all adds to my savings for a Millenium Falcon!
One word, starts and ends in the same letter.

Anaconda.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

It's fairly frequent for that sort of quantity but does happen, you've just got to keep your eyes open, it's a quick buck for a new commander, although it's unusual for them all to be the same item. I once came across a large quantity of tharglets that were bunched together and rotating slowly as a group, a bit like fish shoaling in a bait ball as a defense against a predator. Never seen it again, should have taken a screenshot, Doh.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"