Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Problem with precision toggle in 1.71.2

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

That's yer problem right there!
you need >= v.1.7
Moonlight Fox
Competent
Competent

Post by Moonlight Fox »

Commander Mysenses wrote:
That's yer problem right there!
you need >= v.1.7
:(
Are you sure?
I didn't have the yaw controls for the keyboard by default either, but I managed to edit the keyconfig file to add them in.

will I need to backup my saves/oxp's before installing a newer version?
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

Moonlight Fox wrote:
Are you sure?
I didn't have the yaw controls for the keyboard by default either, but I managed to edit the keyconfig file to add them in.
Keyboard yaw has been in for a while... it's on the , and . keys on a UK windows machine. To where did you change them?
will I need to backup my saves/oxp's before installing a newer version?
I don't think so.
I believe the uninstall program leaves the Addons and oolite-saves folders alone. That's been my experience... but don't my word for it... ask a clever person... or just copy/paste somewhere safe, then paste back afterwards.
Moonlight Fox
Competent
Competent

Post by Moonlight Fox »

Commander Mysenses wrote:
Keyboard yaw has been in for a while... it's on the , and . keys on a UK windows machine. To where did you change them?
that's weird, they weren't on mine for sure.(I'm also using a UK keyboard) I saw a thread that mentioned yaw controls on , & . but it didn't work.
I opened keyconfig and the code for yaw wasn't even there at all.
I had to add:

Code: Select all

<key>key_yaw_left</key>
	<integer>253</integer>
	<key>key_yaw_right</key>
	<integer>252</integer>
	<key>key_pitch_forward</key>
in myself.. I remember it took a little while because I wasn't sure how the numbers related to the keys.. I had to read something on the Oolite wiki to find out.
Speaking of the Oolite wiki.. it doesn't mention the yaw controls on there either! http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite ... d_Controls

I've got them set to left and right cursor keys.. and moved the roll one's to , & . as the only time I use roll is when docking.
Moonlight Fox
Competent
Competent

Post by Moonlight Fox »

Yay! I've updated Oolite and everything is working fine for me.
The precision toggle is VERY useful, I can see why s8404755 & caracal are trying to get it sorted.. good luck!
Just in case it happens to narrow down the causes for problem shooting...

Oolite: V. 1.71.2
Stick: Saitek ST290pro

Roll: Axis 4 (Stick twist)
Pitch: Axis 2 (Stick forward/back)
Yaw: Axis 1 (Stick left/right)
Thrust: Axis 3 (throttle)
kaice
Average
Average

Post by kaice »

Moonlight Fox wrote:
I remember it took a little while because I wasn't sure how the numbers related to the keys.. I had to read something on the Oolite wiki to find out.
Monnlight Fox - I'm having the same problem regarding how the integer numbers in 1.65 relate to the key(s). The majority of them seem to be the standard ASCII character codes, but a few just don't seem to have any correlation.

Could you point out exactly where in the wiki you found the deeper explanation?

Thanks
"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."
Moonlight Fox
Competent
Competent

Post by Moonlight Fox »

kaice wrote:
Could you point out exactly where in the wiki you found the deeper explanation?

Thanks
Of course!

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite ... ssignments
In case your browser doesn't support the jump to wotsit.. scroll to the section titled 'Changing Key Assignments'

personally, I did need to add the Config folder.. I think it's a lot better to do it this way as opposed to changing the original keyconfig.plist
I was still confused even after the explanation so I used the online converter that the article linked to ( http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/color/hexcalc.htm ).

There's also this table: http://www.asciitable.com/
Although personally, I found the calculator a lot easier to use.

Hope this helps!
Ensa
Competent
Competent

Re: Problem with precision toggle in 1.71.2

Post by Ensa »

s8404755 wrote:
Hi,

Hope someone can help me:

I have just started using v1.71.2 and when I press the button to toggle precision helm control, the ship imediately yaws to port continually until I turn it off again.

Needless to say, this is not what you need when you're lining up to blow an oncoming pirate to pieces.

Thanks,

Martin.
I have this same problem in 1.72.1 and 1.72.2, using a basic USB joystick and Windows XP. Really quite a problem as I have to resort to tapping the keyboard controls to get a ship into my sights as the joystick control is far too twitchy, only pirates obviously (hastens to add)... and thargoids...... and fer-de-lances (you have to put them out of their misery)...... oh and those rickshaw guys..... and preachers...... and those other whajacaallums....