Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Planet has no station

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Planet has no station

Post by Rimbaud »

Hello

I am in Lalale, Galaxy 5 and there is no station! The compass points to the witch-point beacon instead of the station! So the little triangle in the compass with both W and N points to the same object.

I am on 1.71.2 on Mac

Jon
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

Looks like a job for the GRS boys (err... see what I did there?)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Have you tried to jump out and in again? Or restart the game and revisit the system?

@ all: Or is there any OXP out there that removes the station of Lalale?
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

I was betting the station was still there, but not the nav bouy.
Head to the planet and see if the station comes up on your ASC.
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

Commander McLane wrote:
Have you tried to jump out and in again? Or restart the game and revisit the system?
Yes and yes, and it still isn't there! I went right up to the planet and couldn't see any station.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cap'n H has probably sold it (as a Trumble recreation facility) and the new owner has come and taken it away. :)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Planet has no station

Post by Eric Walch »

Rimbaud wrote:
I am in Lalale, Galaxy 5 and there is no station! The compass points to the witch-point beacon instead of the station! So the little triangle in the compass with both W and N points to the same object.

I am on 1.71.2 on Mac
GRS sees big bugs in this problem. $$$$$. Selling new stations gains much more than just replacing beacons.

My first impression is that this is caused by the bug that sometimes the wrong entity is chosen for a certain role. I have seen it more, but never with the station. But why should that entity not be affected by it.

I think the populator places an other entity at the location of the station. Than it calls the routine to get the beacon position from the station. No station, so it returns zero. And zero means witchpoint. That way you get two beacons at the witchpoint. Heaving two beacons at the witchpoint must mean that it already went wrong with the populator and not by later movement of the station.

This bug is often predictable in the sense you get the same results when starting the same way. It often shifts to other objects when adding or removing oxp's.

To be sure if this is the bug, make an object dump. Pause the game and press "o". All objects are now dumped in the log file. There should be one in it with scanclass station but with all the other characteristics of an other ship.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I've had this in earlier versions, and fixed it by quitting and starting the Oolite again.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

I finally got back to the system and can confirm that yes, there are two navigation buoys.

Interesting stuff in the log:

Code: Select all

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.71.2 (PPC-32 test release) under Mac OS X Version 10.4.10 (Build 8R218) at 2008-08-31 18:03:20 +0100.
Machine type: PowerBook5,6, 1024 MiB memory, 1 x PowerPC G4 (7450) @ 1500 MHz.
Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.5.0 ("1.5 ATI-1.4.18")
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer: ATI Radeon 9600 XT OpenGL Engine
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (85):
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_fence GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators GL_APPLE_element_array GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422 GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_APPLE_float_pixels GL_ATI_texture_float GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_fog_distance GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_ATI_text_fragment_shader GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate GL_ATI_blend_weighted_minmax GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGI_color_matrix 
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: ---> OXP search paths:
(
    "/Applications/Oolite/Oolite.app/Contents/Resources", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns", 
    "/Users/Jon/.Oolite/AddOns", 
    "/Users/Jon/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/aphidv2.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/Assassins.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/att1.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/behemoth.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/clearskies.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/Commies.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/custsounds.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/deposed.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/Executive Spaceways v2.2.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/Freaky Thargoids 3.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/Galactic_Navy.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/genship.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/globestations.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/griff_krait_v1.0.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/GrittyCoriolis.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/gwxstations.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/Herald.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/Lave.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/longway.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/monument.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/nuke.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/oldships.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/PAGroove_Stations_v1.2.1.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/RandomHits.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/sunskimmers.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/thargoid_wars.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/tori.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/tugs.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/wolfmk2.oxp", 
    "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/wpb.oxp"
)
[dataCache.rebuild.pathsChanged]: Cache is stale (search paths have changed). Rebuilding from scratch.
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 20 world scripts: "assassins", "Behemoth-script01", "deposed", "elite_monument", "ExecutiveFlightSchedule", "generation-ship-script01", "hofd", "Interstellar_Action", "long_way_round", "Navy_Patrol", "newskim", "oolite-cloaking-device" 1.71.2, "oolite-constrictor-hunt" 1.71.2, "oolite-nova" 1.71.2, "oolite-thargoid-plans" 1.71.2, "oolite-trumbles" 1.71.2, "Random_Hits", "seccom_station", "thargoid_wars", "tuggerschedule"
[script.debug.onOff]: SCRIPT debug messages ON
[script.debug.note.addPlanet]: DEBUG addMoon: moon_lave
[script.debug.addPlanet]: DEBUG initMoonFromDictionary: {
    "land_hsb_color" = "0.686 0.25 0.66"; 
    orientation = "1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0"; 
    "polar_color_factor" = "2.5"; 
    position = "-40000 0 60000"; 
    radius = 800; 
    "rotational_velocity" = "0.03"; 
    seed = "1 2 3 4 5 6"; 
    texture = "lunar.png"; 
}
[script.debug.addPlanet]: moon position (-40000.00 0.00 60000.00) derived from -40000 0 60000
[script.debug.onOff]: SCRIPT debug messages OFF
[dataCache.willWrite]: About to write data cache.
[dataCache.write.success]: Wrote data cache.
[cheat.tentative]: POSSIBLE CHEAT DETECTED
[universe.setup.badStation]: ***** ERROR: Attempt to use non-station ship of type "SpaceBar" for role "coriolis" as system station, trying again with "coriolis".
[universe.setup.badStation]: ***** ERROR: On retry, rolled non-station ship of type "SpaceBar" for role "coriolis". Non-station ships should not have this role! Generating a stationless system.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Rimbaud wrote:
Hehe. Got you.
Rimbaud wrote:
[universe.setup.badStation]: ***** ERROR: Attempt to use non-station ship of type "SpaceBar" for role "coriolis" as system station, trying again with "coriolis".
[universe.setup.badStation]: ***** ERROR: On retry, rolled non-station ship of type "SpaceBar" for role "coriolis". Non-station ships should not have this role! Generating a stationless system.
[/code]
This is the reason for your reported problem. Sometimes Oolite uses the wrong entity. LB has implemented it as a template in RH, but sometimes Oolite uses this instead of the 'real' station. But I think it shouldn't happen every time when you are jumping in this system.
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

Well I do edit the save game a lot to reduce all those extra credits the Galactic Navy gives me because it thinks I've scooped an escape pod (related bug)!

I get the double beacon problem every time...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Svengali wrote:
Rimbaud wrote:
Hehe. Got you.
Rimbaud wrote:
[/code]
This is the reason for your reported problem. Sometimes Oolite uses the wrong entity. LB has implemented it as a template in RH, but sometimes Oolite uses this instead of the 'real' station. But I think it shouldn't happen every time when you are jumping in this system.
Anyway, the template (and the Space Bar as well) shouldn't have the role "coriolis". Do they? (Too busy right now to look inside Random Hits.)
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

It doesn't. It just has the custom role "spacebar". I think this is a bug in Oolite where Oolite occasionally picks an entry with the wrong role.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

This problem has gone away with 1.7.2 :D
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Yay, I did something right.