Couldn't find 'Nova'...

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Couldn't find 'Nova'...

Post by JohnnyBoy »

I'm in Galaxy 4 and have been given very useful advice from Eric Walch to install the 'Deposed' and 'Lovecats' mission packs. However, there was also talk about whether these missions would interfere with a G4 mission called 'Nova'.

However, I couldn't find 'Nova' at http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP . Does this mean that this mission is already part of Oolite?
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Yeah. Nova is one of the built in missions.

If you check the missions page here:-

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Missions it'll give you the links and short descriptions for the OXP missions.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Thank you, LittleBear! :)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Thank you, LittleBear! :)
As little bear says: it is one of the internal missions. I rewrote some lines of Deposed so Nova became part of Deposed. Problem with the nova mission is that there are two solutions. One is just jumping to the next galaxy. In my opinion that is just cheating. But by making it part of Deposed, you are forced to find a solution were you stay in galaxy 4 to proceed with deposed.

Nova is one of the missions in the original Elite. And when it is finished it leaves back a nova system. When this system happens to be part of an other mission, that other mission can never be completed. That is the reason why you want to do all other missions first. The Deposed mission ends in galaxy 5. But before you go for the cloaking mission in G5, fist play Lovecats to its end.

There is also the trident down mission in Galaxy 4. (I never played it, but will soon). That one seems not to play well with oolite 1.71. But Ramirez is atm busy to make an improved version of it. That one will also be mission clash proof, meaning that you should be able to run it simultaneously with other mission oxp's.

Conclusion: Galaxy 4 is crowded with missions to tempt you to not go for the cloaking device. In any mission after G4 you can cheat the enemies with your cloak.
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Uhhhh, right. :? So if I install 'Deposed' and 'Lovecats', will 'Nova' and those two installed missions just work okay together without me having to worry about anything?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Uhhhh, right. :? So if I install 'Deposed' and 'Lovecats', will 'Nova' and those two installed missions just work okay together without me having to worry about anything?
At least it was programmed in the intention they work flawless together. (But proof is in eating of the pudding). The latest versions of both have code in it that makes it more mission-clash proof.
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Thanks, Eric. I've yet to move Deposed and Lovecats to my 'Extras' folder. I'm too busy flying between Anonrior, Lavebe and Gebiisso and fighting with the surprisingly high number of pirates that can be found there (surprising because all three are either tech level 13 or 14).

I've also found out what a pirate armed with a nuclear missile can do to my SuperCobra.... :cry:
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
I'm too busy flying between Anonrior, Lavebe and Gebiisso and fighting with the surprisingly high number of pirates that can be found there (surprising because all three are either tech level 13 or 14).
Why surprisingly. I whould expect that there is much more high value stuff to be captured by pirates in such systems.
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

I say 'surprisingly' because I always find plenty of GalCop Vipers in the high tech level systems (for example, Lezaer in Galaxy 3), and so pirates that cause trouble there tend to have short lifespans. :)