Missile Analyser.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Missile Analyser.oxp

Post by Eric Walch »

Announcement: new Equipment.

Who knows the problem of an incoming missile that does not react on ECM. With a plain system you know it is an ECM hardeled missile and when you hit ECM often enough, it might explode before it hits you.

However, when you have installed Missiles & Bombs or any other oxp that adds missies of it's own it becomes more difficult. e.g Missiles & Bombs replaces the AI file of an hard-head so it never reacts on ECM.
And some missiles of M&B have a Q-bomb on top. After I was killed again by such a q-bomb I started a board meeting with the GRS engineers. They came up with a solution. The Missile Analyser 1.0.

This piece of equipment gives an extra on-screen warning when the incoming missile is other than a plain missile. When you have an Target System Memory Enhancement installed it even adds the missile to its memory banks. This way the missile becomes primary target and you can even fire an interception missile back.

I put it on a new equipment page on the wiki. Missile Analyser 1.0
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Sometimes the small things are the best ...
This piece of equipment gives an extra on-screen warning when the incoming missile is other than a plain missile. When you have an Target System Memory Enhancement installed it even adds the missile to its memory banks. This way the missile becomes primary target and you can even fire an interception missile back.
Especially indeared with this function - cool add-on, and price/TL availability do make sense.

*goes testing this right away*

8)

L
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

That's just brilliant - I've started a new list of "must have" OXPs and this is on that list. Well done!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I like new gadgets 8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Hmm, the march of technology continues. As a new offensive technology is employed, so some bright spark counters it.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Hmm, the march of technology continues. As a new offensive technology is employed, so some bright spark counters it.
Blame big A for the new technology. He did the biggest part for this oxp by presenting a handle for an incoming missile to the player-script. (starting with 1.71) I just used that handle. Probably the shortest oxp I released so far.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Now you just have to update the sig... Or did you ran out of space already?
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Now you just have to update the sig... Or did you ran out of space already?
Yes, adding a forth link in the signature crosses the 255 character limit. looking at the four oxp's I just noticed a tendency: Every next one gets smaller. For this one the readme is longer than the whole oxp that contains just 5 script lines.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Try this:

Code: Select all

My OXPs available on the [url=http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP]Wiki[/url]
UPS-Courier, BuoyRepair, DeepSpacePirates and Missile Analyser
It's about half the size.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I wonder what Ramirez will come up with now! :wink:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Eric Walch wrote:
the whole oxp ... contains just 5 script lines.
You know that`s ... brilliant :shock:

It really is! :)
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

TGHC wrote:
I wonder what Ramirez will come up with now! :wink:
Maybe he will add the Anti Ballistic Missile I refer to in the manual. On firing a plain missile at a hard-head it can't destroy it in most cases. Even the Interception Missiles of M&B have problems hitting a missile. Those missiles do have fuel injectors, but the way oolite works, the injectors are only used on large distance to the target. In the final approach it still has problems to follow the hard-head and come close enough for detonation.

I think M&B needs a real ABM missile. Explosion on a much greater distance of the target. The impact on the target is then less that way, but it does not take much damage to kill a missile. Currently the plain missiles, used as ABM, have trouble to get close enough to the incoming missile.

Just for testing purpose I raised the desiredRange of the Interception Missile (from M&B) from 25 to 100 meters. Now it in most cases it killed the incoming hardhead. I have thought in adding such a missile to the oxp, but decided that this is up to Ramirez.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@E_W you could create some tinyurl links that would shrink your signature.

Just a thought
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

I just uploaded a new version of my missile analyser. No changes, but this one should also work with the latest trunc versions.

Missile Analyser 1.01
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Just a thought.......would it be possible to link suitable audio messages to the type of missile as part of a custom sounds type OXP? or within the missile analyser OXP?
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"