About splitting Realistic Shipyards

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Should I split Realistic Shipyards into a ship prices & tech availability version AND an Oolite_Ships_Extension version with aaaall in it?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:29 am

Yes! Good idea!
24%
Yes, but I would still want the BIG version!
10%
Yes, then I would use a version - the small one with the original idea in it ONLY.
57%
Don`t care.
5%
No, everyone should HAVE to play with the one and only option of ... <-- enter one and only true option here
No votes
No! Bad Idea!
No votes
Take your %%§& oxp and stuff it up your %/&%!!!
5%

Total votes: 21

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

About splitting Realistic Shipyards

Post by Lestradae »

Hi people,

just a quick question (and a good?? excuse to try the poll function for once :P )

I was thinking about splitting the whole Realistic Shipyards idea into two different oxps.

Many people are interested in the full version (nearly 600 downloads now), but even more people seem to be interested in meaningful ship-pricing/tech level shipyards, but without additional ships added in.

So, I`m thinking about splitting when Oolite 1.72 comes out into ...

* Realistic_Shipyards_V1.1.oxp - ONLY ship prices & tech availability rewritten via shipyard-override.plist

* Oolite_Ships_Extension.oxp - essentially what would have been Realistic Shipyards V3.03 (bugfixes + streamlining + further ships + adaptation to the upcoming? Oolite 1.72)

Good idea, bad idea?

Comments wanted. 8)

L
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I voted for option 3. Realistic Shipyards was a great idea, but I think the inclusion of every OXP did kind of muddy the waters a bit.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I went for option 1. I don't think I'd use RS -- I got myself nicely settled into the Radio Maru a good while back, and I don't see myself changing ships again. I think Lestradae's ship-price formula could be recommended to all ship designers as a guide for producing a ballpark figure for the cost of a new ship, based on its capabilities. More expensive deluxe or otherwise exclusive ship-types are OK, but any significant variations downwards in price should be discouraged (i.e. no cheapo überships!).
Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Amen Brick »

Can't argue, what I asked for a little while back.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

There are too many options meaning the same things... But yes, please split it.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

Split it.
The original premise was a good one.
Later ideas were overambitious and flawed.
Not sure if I would use it, but it would be nice to have the choice.
Gareth3377
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Gareth3377 »

Agreed. Like the idea of realistic prices (think I've mentioned this before). Downloaded the heffalump version and thought - yikes! :D

Small version for me. Small OXPs are ace (look how much farsun and pirates outside the space lane oxps have added to the Oolite experience)

So yeah, small version.

Ta muchly!
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

I like the idea, but I would still use the big version. But, I think you should make a version for the purists. So, go for it!

Don't Panic: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I agree with Commander Mysensis, the original concept was good, but in trying to improve on it it became a bit of a behemoth. I would use it with a new commander in it's simplest form, despite being a traditionalist, it does not make sense that some uber ships are too cheap, and ships like the ferdie in relation, are overpriced.

Classic elite does have it's idiosyncrasies, eg size of cargo pods and planets as mentioned in another thread, and why do you not blow yourself up launching an e bomb, however with the introduction of so many new OXP ships it does make good sense to rationalise the ship pricing.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Sensible ship pricing gets my vote - and those of us with older PCs do not have to kill them trying to run the biggie oxp.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here