Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Arwing from SNES Starfox.

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Moonlight Fox
Competent
Competent

Arwing from SNES Starfox.

Post by Moonlight Fox »

Woo!
My first model in Wings3D.
Started on it lastnight, not bad considering I've not used Wings3D before.
I guess it just goes to show it really is an easy program to pick up!
Model is an Arwing from the SNES game 'Starfox' or 'Starwing' as it's called here in the UK.

Now all I need (according to the Oolite wiki) is a Mac user to convert it to a .dat for me. Unless of course that information is incorrect and I can in fact do it using Win2000.
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Nice. Have you played the newer starfox games? The are really good.

Don't Panic: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Looks refreshingly different. :)

And the objtodat-script should work on PC as well. Or I wouldn't know how all the other guys on PC do finish their modelling.
Moonlight Fox
Competent
Competent

Post by Moonlight Fox »

FSOneblin wrote:
Yeah, I'm quite a big Starfox fan (main reason why there's a 'fox' in my username)
Personally I don't think the newer ones quite match up to the original and SF64 however they are good games in their own right.
The only one I've not got is Starfox: Command (the one on the DS) Although it seems to quite closely follow the unreleased Starfox2 on the SNES so it could be quite good!
Bring on Starfox for the Wii!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I was a fan of the orignal Starfox game although I never owned an Nintendo system - relied on friends for my console fixes. However, my 6yr old has a DS lite and I've rented Starfox:Command and its actually very good - makes excellent use of the touch screen - if I wasn't so old and actually had some reflexes I''d have been better at it!

BTW - love the ship - look forward to seeing it in game
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Moonlight Fox
Competent
Competent

Post by Moonlight Fox »

Hmmmm...
I'm having real troubles converting the .obj file. I'm not exactly sure what it is I'm supposed to do with it! haha

I'm guessing I need to use something in the obj2dat folder.. but my .obj file doesn't seem to interact with any of the other files in there. I wondered if I need to open one of the files with another application.. but I've no idea which! :oops:
I feel like an idiot..
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

try the following threads: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=4014

and

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=3696

additional threads within these threads - hope this helps.

DaddyH
Selezen wrote:
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Moonlight Fox wrote:
FSOneblin wrote:
Yeah, I'm quite a big Starfox fan (main reason why there's a 'fox' in my username)
Personally I don't think the newer ones quite match up to the original and SF64 however they are good games in their own right.
The only one I've not got is Starfox: Command (the one on the DS) Although it seems to quite closely follow the unreleased Starfox2 on the SNES so it could be quite good!
Bring on Starfox for the Wii!
Yes! Someone else on this forum who has a wii! 2 great games for it are: Super smash bros. brawl and Legend of Zelda: Twilight princess. Red Steal is a must have, too, just a little buggy. Also, get a gamecube controller, memory card, and get The legend of zelda: the wind waker. And then if you have a ds get : The legend of zelda: The phantom hourglass. All great games.

Don't Panic: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Moonlight Fox
Competent
Competent

Post by Moonlight Fox »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
try the following threads: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=4014
and
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=3696
additional threads within these threads - hope this helps.
DaddyH
Woohoo! That did it!
Yeah, I didn't have Python on my computer..that'll be why I couldn't get it to do anything. hahaha! :oops:
Well the file converted alright.. now all I've got to do is edit the shipdata.plist
OMG! :shock:
What a mess!
Is there any way to sort out the formatting? when I drag it into notepad the places where it should have gone onto the next line just have a symbol there.
argh! It would take forever to manually replace the symbols!
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Wordpad will format it properly. I also use Notepad++, which is great for editing things like plists and dat files.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Very nice looking model, looks fast and dangerous. Goes into the supership category, eyecatcing, very expensive, high performance and real crumpet magnet :wink: I want one.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Amen Brick »

I can't get anything to work unless I make a copy of an existing file and edit it in wordpad. Tried VIM, just awful.
Moonlight Fox
Competent
Competent

Post by Moonlight Fox »

Well, I'm making progress!
As this is the first time I've done this I decided to download an existing ship and just use it's info for mine.
At first this didn't didn't work, when I went to access the ship buying screen Oolite just crashed. When I removed my folder it was working fine so it was certainly something to do with what I had done.
I changed a few things here and there and eventually ended up cutting a lot of the info from the shipyard.plist.. and it worked!
As you can see from the screens, I now need to go back and do a little more tweaking..the laser looks okay however the engine exhausts are coming out of nowhere!
Currently, all the info for the ships shields, missiles and everything are from the stingray craft so I need to sort that out.
Also the colour I added to the model in Wings3D hasn't shown up on the final model so I need to go back and add a texture map to apply the correct colours. The way it is at the moment, it looks like a flying rock!
All in all, I think it's turning out alright.. after I'm done with this one I guess I should start working a Starwolf's craft too!

Quick question:
When making the model I was trying to get it to look right and not paying any attention to scale.. although it looks like it's turned out okay (it's supposed to be a single seat fighter so it's supposed to be very small)
How do the units in Wings3D correspond to the size/scale of things in Oolite?

DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

How do the units in Wings3D correspond to the size/scale of things in Oolite?
I was under the impression that one unit in WIngs3d was 1m - real modellers out there will quickly correct me if I'm wrong!

Ship looks good even untextured - but I don't get the engine outputs bein' so far from the outside of the ship (even if its a lot like how they work in original Nintendo Starfox)
Selezen wrote: