Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Regarding the lack of ships in deep-space...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Gareth3377
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Gareth3377 »

Sometimes the smallest OXPs can have as big an impact as the awesome ship models.

Keep it up.
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

I just read in your OXP readme, that it, "adds ships outside the spacelanes, based on the players location, direction and speed"

So does that mean you could avoid the added ships at jumpspeed by jinking?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander Mysenses wrote:
So does that mean you could avoid the added ships at jumpspeed by jinking?
It you keep turning you probably could avoid some. In most cases they still appear at the edge of the radar because of your speed. In the current release I add them 50 000 meter in front of the player. (2x scanner range).

It is just experimenting with distances. As close as possible but still far enough away that even big ships not suddenly appear out of nothing in the eye of the player. For carriers this distance is still to close, but when a ship of the size of a carrier has a pirate role something else is wrong.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

when a ship of the size of a carrier has a pirate role something else is wrong
Not ... nescessarily :twisted:
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Re: ...

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Lestradae wrote:
when a ship of the size of a carrier has a pirate role something else is wrong
Not ... nescessarily :twisted:
Ai!... That'll probably be painful!

OTOH, maybe this may be the start of the famed Pirate King OXP. :)
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

this may be the start of the famed Pirate King OXP
I`m all for it (as in: would love to play with something like that in), if it`s not me doing the oxp :lol:

Just, in Realistic Shipyards, you can meet pirates who somehow acquired a carrier (organised crime, terrible mess) and yes, either you are GOOD or you RUN or it`s going to get really painful - but no worries, it`s not going to take long ... :twisted:

Loved torturing players as a dungeon master, too ...

Bad L :P
Eric Walch

Re: ...

Post by Eric Walch »

Lestradae wrote:
Just, in Realistic Shipyards, you can meet pirates who somehow acquired a carrier (organised crime, terrible mess) and yes, either you are GOOD or you RUN or it`s going to get really painful - but no worries, it`s not going to take long
And in Military Fiasco it is also pirates flying a carrier but not with that role. I just wanted to say that when a carrier it added it will be there suddenly. It is at least rare enough to not add all pirates further in front to also get those carriers added look right.
Dr Beeb
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr Beeb »

Eric Walch wrote:
Your sunskimmers.oxp is one of the exceptions. With that one you had just bad luck that Oolite had problems with roles like trader or pirate. Under 1.65 both roles added often ships with a pirateAI and 0 bounty. Starting with 1.70 at least the traders added with your oxp have traderAI. Bountys of pirates are still zero but with JS I now give them a bounty (at least most of them).
Hi Eric,

:oops: I did not write sunskimmers, I meant I just added it to my version of Oolite from the list of OXPs available. Anyway, thanks for your oxp very much.
White dots were so much easier to hit