-verify-oxp doesn`t work under Vista

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

-verify-oxp doesn`t work under Vista

Post by Lestradae »

Hi,

:?

Tried the instructions I was given here:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... ght=#43966

Problem One: Under Vista, there isn`t any console command window any more. MS idiots.

OK. I go and organise Windows Power Shell which I am told by Microsoft would be the "external" replacement for this, it would have "many additional features".

Problem Two: The Power Shell doesn`t accept my programs folder as a folder it may go into. MS idiots.

OK. I re-install Oolite until, at c:/Oolite, finally the Power Shell accepts that the folder is there at all. Next bit of fun. I play a test game and find an old problem again that Vista has with its 5 trillion administrator hierarchies: The game cannot save. Oh, it does save, but it doesn`t actually write any data without Vista telling me.

Had already forgotten about that. I had Oolite installed in an obscure part of C:/programme to make the saving work. MS idiots.

Problem Three: I decide to run Power Shell anyways. This time, at least the Oolite and AddOns folder is found. But: The command prompt doesn`t accept "RunOolite" as a valid command. "Many new features", eh?

Damn the idiot BG ... MS idiots.

Has anyone actually gotten the -verify-oxp to work under Vista, and if, how, and would you if you exist kindly tell me how you did it?

Steam coming out of facial orifices :evil:

L
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Try pressing the Windows Key + R. This will in theory bring up the Run Command dialog. Type cmd in there and you are set.

There is no reason not to be able to run RunOolite. It is just a batch file, but then again I am not aware of the Vista goodness and its weird "security" features. Just try as stated above and see if this will do your job.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi another_commander,

and thanks - that did the trick!
Try pressing the Windows Key + R. This will in theory bring up the Run Command dialog. Type cmd in there and you are set.
This does actually work! The MS guys claim publicly that it`s no longer in there, that you need this PowerShell thing and they made it "external". But, WinKey+R and there you go. MS. :?
There is no reason not to be able to run RunOolite. ... Just try as stated above and see if this will do your job.
Thanks, did it!
It is just a batch file, but then again I am not aware of the Vista goodness and its weird "security" features.
You`re not missing out on life quality without it, I assure you. Vista for example shows me when I save Oolite that it was saved, but when I install it as I "should" it just doesn`t save it - seems that Oolite doesn`t have the "right" in the access hierarchy to write, only read.

Had to put Oolite into the system files themselves with the help of a friend to make this work as intended ...

Back to work on the to-do-list clean-up-work fun.

Cheers :)

L
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Actually the run command is still there, you just have to set it up, by rightclicking the system tray, and select properties...

If you switch to classical view, then it will fell like windows 95/98, but not like Xp, however it will not be demanding so many resources from your system.

This is a case of, and i mean it in the best possible way...

RTFM ;-)....

hehe....
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Gareth3377
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Gareth3377 »

I must say, that Oolite on my Vista machine has been much more stable than on my old XP one. I've not had one crash (slowdowns yes, but not crashes).

Just thought I'd defend Vista a bit, poor thing. :D
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Gareth3377 wrote:
I must say, that Oolite on my Vista machine has been much more stable than on my old XP one. I've not had one crash (slowdowns yes, but not crashes).
Not being mean against Vista or anything, but I would guess that the lack of crashes is more related to the progress made on Oolite itself rather than the operating system it runs on (I also have zero crashes nowadays on my XP machine).
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Gareth3377 wrote:

Just thought I'd defend Vista a bit, poor thing. :D
Oh i had plenty, but usually i´m to blame for that ;-), however, the slowdowns as stated else where that is a bug, and has been solved for the next release, but the slowdowns are sometimes causing a Crash, like a runaway memory leek, which it is not.. just acts as if it where...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935