Very Minor Spoiler Request

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Rendwich
Poor
Poor

Very Minor Spoiler Request

Post by Rendwich »

Thanks to the creators of this great game, it's much appreciated.

I've been playing for a while now, and I can't seem to find any of the high-tech improvements for my ship. I went to Zaonce in Galaxy 1 and they had no Advanced Space Compass, even though that blue frog guy said they would. I can't find Witchdrive Fuel Injectors or a Scanner Targeting Enhancement, either.

In fact, I can't even find a station which is selling spaceships. I've been to *many* Tech 13+ worlds and had no luck. I press "3" twice and nothing happens.

I'm now in Galaxy 2 after completing the Constrictor Hunt. I've been to two Tech 15 stations and they were selling the same basics as all the other places.

Is there something wrong with my installation? I'm running v1.65 in strict mode using Leopard on a Mac Mini.

If there isn't something wrong with my installation, can someone please tell me a Galaxy 2 system which sells good upgrades and maybe even spaceships? I have 100,000 Cr and 862 kills, I've maxxed out my possibilities with this basic configuration:

Cobra Mark III
Military Laser
Large Cargo Bay
Extra Energy Unit
Energy Bomb
Fuel Scoops
E.C.M. System
Docking Computers

Send a private message if you don't want to post the information out in the open.

Thanks so much!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Hi Rendwich,

You're playing in strict mode. Lots of the newer addons are not available in strict mode... Only stuff that was implemented in the original Elite is.

That also means no other ships than your trusty Cobra.

:cry:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Very Minor Spoiler Request

Post by another_commander »

Rendwich wrote:
I'm running v1.65 in strict mode using Leopard on a Mac Mini.
This is the problem. You want to go to the Options screen and select Reset to Unrestricted Play. You will then be able to get both new gadgets and ships in the shipyards.
Rendwich
Poor
Poor

Thanks!

Post by Rendwich »

I really appreciate the prompt explanations.

I was under the impression (to be fair, I'm not sure why) that the Strict mode only prevented the use of OXPs. I wasn't aware that it subtracted options from the standard Oolite installation.

I don't want to criticize because the game is so good and so free, but perhaps better labels for this Option would be "Classic Version" and "Enhanced Version"?

Thanks again!
Rendwich
Poor
Poor

Post by Rendwich »

Imagine my disappointment to find that i can't simply change the Option screen and continue with my game.

Any workarounds?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I think you'll need to manually change your Save File to continue in normal mode with the same Commander. Make a copy of your save file before you try this. :wink: . Open your save file with Notepad (or any text editor). Use Find to search for <key>strict</key>

It should currently say:

Code: Select all

<key>strict</key>
<true/>
Delete this (and only this) and then exit and save. That should switch it into normal mode.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Rendwich
Poor
Poor

Post by Rendwich »

I mucked around considerably before you gave me the easy, correct approach. Thanks so much.

Apparently the checksum stored at the start of the file is not so important?