no spoiler hint...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

rollen
Competent
Competent

no spoiler hint...

Post by rollen »

I had just started out on the Constrictor mission and GH'ed to Galaxy 2 and then lost the trail for the Constrictor. The only worry I have is that I had to "spring clean" my add ons folder since v.17.1 was a bit too much for my system.

Could this have corrupted the Constrictor mission and caused it to terminate or am I on the right track and should just fly around Galaxy 2 until I pick up the trail again..?

(If you can avoid answering this without spoilers I will buy you a Pan Galactic Gargle-blaster next time we meet in the Coriolis snug-bar)
"time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas"
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: no spoiler hint...

Post by Frame »

rollen wrote:
I had just started out on the Constrictor mission and GH'ed to Galaxy 2 and then lost the trail for the Constrictor. The only worry I have is that I had to "spring clean" my add ons folder since v.17.1 was a bit too much for my system.

Could this have corrupted the Constrictor mission and caused it to terminate or am I on the right track and should just fly around Galaxy 2 until I pick up the trail again..?

(If you can avoid answering this without spoilers I will buy you a Pan Galactic Gargle-blaster next time we meet in the Coriolis snug-bar)
Nope, the contrictor mission is native, which means it is not an AddOn or better known as an OXP...

It should still be running..

And yeah it can be hard to find the Contrictor, if you are to far away from the path he has taken...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: no spoiler hint...

Post by Eric Walch »

rollen wrote:
Don't make the same mistake I made: Buying a galactic drive and accidental touch the G key. I ended up in Galaxy 3 and had to work myself up through galaxy 8 before I could jump to 1 again. All that time the constrictor mission was sitting there in my F5 screen waiting for fulfilment. When I at last met the basterd I was to experienced and well equipped to get a real fight.

Only hint I can give is to look often in your F7 screen. There the system starts to give hints when close enough.
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

**POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!**

This is interesting. I'm not bothered too much by spoilers but I don't want too much detail... but... how does the constrictor mission work with the spyhunter one?

For spyhunter you need far more kills, and for constrictor you need less but jump galaxies? Both start in G1. Doesn't this conflict then? Or do I need to wait till I go right round the galaxies before I can come back and do spyhunter?
rollen
Competent
Competent

Post by rollen »

right thanks for all your help. The Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters are on me!
"time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Where has Constrictor-morehints.oxp gone? A quick search of mine couldn't find it. It would be the best answer to the initial question.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

dalek501 wrote:
how does the constrictor mission work with the spyhunter one?

For spyhunter you need far more kills, and for constrictor you need less but jump galaxies? Both start in G1. Doesn't this conflict then? Or do I need to wait till I go right round the galaxies before I can come back and do spyhunter?
It's an infinite galaxy (at least up to the edges)!

Spyhunter is an OXP and the Constrictor mission is a native one, so they do have different requirements. I wrote Spyhunter as an option for those who want to stay in G1 but still want a similar kind of mission.

You don't have to do them both unless you really want to... ;-)
Last edited by Selezen on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

Ah I've just seen that Constrictor can start in one or two. If its starts in one for me and I refuse it, will I get the chance again?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Without giving spoilers, its not a mission where you can refuse or accept. Once the 'incident' happens then its happened. Its up to you what you do about it.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

Interesting.... :D

I shall wing it and see then!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Perhaps another word of clarification for new players:

Please don't expect that the missions in Oolite are following a linear story-line in any way. All missions are completely independent of each other (except for some very rare exceptions, where finishing one mission is a requirement for starting another mission), and Mission A doesn't care at all what is going on in Mission B (there is again one exception for this general rule, but only one).

This means that it is only natural that Mission A may require you to stay in Galaxy 1, but at the same time Mission B sends you to Galaxy 2. They are completely independent of each other.

If you want to avoid the trouble that may be caused by being "slave to two masters" (read: doing two missions at the same time), there is one thing you can do - at least as far is OXP-missions are concerned: Put only one mission-OXP at the time in your AddOns-folder, and play this mission till you come to its end, before you put the next mission-OXP in your AddOns-folder.

And if you want to play all missions, you have to travel through all eight galaxies at least once anyway, probably even more than once. So even if you missed a mission in Galaxy 1, you can still do it when you're back from Galaxy 8 (although it probably won't be the same challenge as it would have been in the very beginning of your career).

And of course the mission-page of the wiki offers you hints on where each mission starts, together with some (basic - we don't want to spoil too much) informations about the nature of the mission itself. So it is always the best starting point for choosing what to do next.
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

Thanks Commander Mclane. That basically answers the problems I had in my head with the missions.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

You're welcome, dalek501! :)