Magical Mysterious E Bomb

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

nijineko wrote:
is it alt-tab to fire the e-bomb? i've never managed to use one.
It is TAB to fire the e-bomb (as all manuals say). Which happens to be part of the ALT-TAB combination. Thus not only Windows, but also Oolite recognizes it as a keystroke, and acts accordingly.

(The same happens on a Mac, if you press e.g. Cmd-T in order to open the new Target Inspector. As the T is an integral part of this keyboard shortcut, you invariably lock a missile on the target as well. So, if you intend to inspect the target for a little while, it is highly advisible not to use any keyboard shortcut that includes a M immediatly afterwards.)

Shall I post this as a bug?
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

I press the '9' key to activate mine... :?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

@ nijineko
I love that idea of the energy bomb using up everyones fuel in a giant surge of engine power! great fun to use when you see a craft attempting some tricky docking maneuver!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
I press the '9' key to activate mine... :?
Yes, that's a Mac-specific bug in 1.65. Has been fixed later, so if you upgrade to 1.71.1 you will have it on the TAB-key, as it is supposed to be.

(The TAB-key has a keycode of 9, but that used to mess up with the key 9. If you search on the boards you will find some topics about that.)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
(The same happens on a Mac, if you press e.g. Cmd-T in order to open the new Target Inspector. As the T is an integral part of this keyboard shortcut, you invariably lock a missile on the target as well. So, if you intend to inspect the target for a little while, it is highly advisible not to use any keyboard shortcut that includes a M immediatly afterwards.)
It’s fun when you press Cmd-J to get the console and run into an asteroid at 32x top speed… I’m not actually sure fixing this would be the Right Thing, though, and I have better things to do.
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

huh, i've never had it go off when i hit tab before.... i'll try again. ^^

and i wasn't aware of the cmd-j and cmd-t options. i'll have to try those out! =D

excellent advice. what keyboard shortcuts use 'm', if any?
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

It’s fun when you press Cmd-J to get the console and run into an asteroid at 32x top speed… I’m not actually sure fixing this would be the Right Thing, though, and I have better things to do.

It just opens the java script consol When I press command j :cry:. Are there any more fun keybord short cuts?

Don't Panic: FSOneblin
Last edited by FSOneblin on Fri May 16, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

FSOneblin wrote:
It just opens the java script consol When I press command j :cry:. Are there any more fun keybord short cuts?
Did you try looking in the menus? That’s the normal place to find them.
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Ahruman wrote:
Did you try looking in the menus? That’s the normal place to find them.

Umm... do you mean manuals? Menus are the stuff that they give you at restaurants. If so, where do I find them?

Don't Panic, FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Menus are the things ou get in restaurants, but they are also the lists of things you can do on a drop down list thing.

On windows, when you click on "File" you get a menu with things like "open", "save" etc. In most programmes you can get the menu to show you what the shortcut for each thing on the menu is. I think thats what he was saying.

In oolite, if I look at the debug menu, I can see:

Show Log CTRL-L
Insert Log Marker CTRL-=
Show JavaScript Console CTRL-J
Clear JavaScript Console CTRL-K
Inspect Player CTRL-I
Clean Up Inspectors SHIFT-CTRL-K

and a few others, that I cant be bothered to type :)
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

I like the idea of the E Bomb being replaced with a weaker version of the Q bomb. Would make a lot more sense from the point of view of the Ooniverse as well (since I cannot fathom a reason why any government or even a criminal organisation would let private citizens buy an E Bomb as it stands).
Dr Beeb
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr Beeb »

Wolfwood wrote:
I like the idea of the E Bomb being replaced with a weaker version of the Q bomb. Would make a lot more sense from the point of view of the Ooniverse as well (since I cannot fathom a reason why any government or even a criminal organisation would let private citizens buy an E Bomb as it stands).
I agree with most of the comments here. All I can offer is that the e-bomb was to help newbie players as a last resort so that they didn't get too frustrated as they learnt combat. The introduction of the q mines requires more skill to use (and hence fun) but eventually one learns enough tactics not to use up one of those either. Forget the tab button exists as you advance and face your enemies - with your rear laser !
White dots were so much easier to hit