Panicky Ident System

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Panicky Ident System

Post by Kaks »

I had a quick & very superficial look at bug 1791 on berlios, and though I agree that the ident behaviour could do with some improvements when targeting a cloaking ship, I can't figure out what to do instead.

Any suggestions welcome! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

maybe after you ID a cloaked ship and get the first 'Target Lost' message on your HUD (when the ID'd ship blinks into cloaked mode), the ident system switches off so the player has to press the 'r' key again to switch the ident system back on?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hmmm, the way ident has been working so far is that the moment you lose a target, it immediately tries to find a new one...

Maybe if it gave a warning to let the player know that there's a reason why it behaves differently...

What about: 'Cloaking device detected, shutting down targeting subsystems' after a ship cloaks? Would that make sense?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Maybe it would be better giving a more generic failure message? The cloak is supposed to be a secret military device, so probably ships' computers would not have built in messages indicating they detected it.

I was thinking something along the lines of
'Ident lock system error', followed by suspension of further messages regarding the cloaked ship, until it decloaks.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

OK, what about 'Automatic targeting failure, restart targeting subsystems' ?

Or were you thinking to keep automatic targeting for all other ships?

Hey, just got an idea: if the ship is cloaked, I could get oolite to show the usual 'frame' around the cloaked ship, but the frame colour could change from green to yellow (maybe even flash between green & yellow) with no identification data, neither as an onscreen message, nor as writing next to that frame.

The ident behaviour would remain consistent (won't turn off by itself), the message spamming would end, and the player would see there's something not quite right with the targeting system when trying to lock on to a cloaked ship. Everyone's a winner! :)

Ok, if there's no objections, I'll run with this! Well, when I say 'run', I might be able to do something about it tomorrow night, or maybe even at 9pm tonight, if I find the time! :D
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

another_commander wrote:
Maybe it would be better giving a more generic failure message? The cloak is supposed to be a secret military device, so probably ships' computers would not have built in messages indicating they detected it.

I was thinking something along the lines of
'Ident lock system error', followed by suspension of further messages regarding the cloaked ship, until it decloaks.
I prefer the switching-off idea, because it doesn’t involve tracking additional state. :-)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Fair enough. I agree with this. The simpler, the better.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Ahruman wrote:
I prefer the switching-off idea, because it doesn’t involve tracking additional state. :-)
Excellent, less is more (& less to do for me) works for me too! :D

Unless there's any really compelling reason to do otherwise, I'll implement 'Automatic targeting failure, restart targeting subsystems.' & switch off ident.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

How long until someone reports the 'Automatic targeting failure, restart targeting subsystems' as a bug? :D
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

:mrgreen: