"You have scooped a Navy Officer!"

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

OK it just happened to me while docked at Teceteis in Galaxy 4
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

And again within a minute. This happened after an Adder sent messages about being attacked.
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

And again, while cruising about at Bien in Galaxy 4. This is three times within 5 minutes.
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

And again at Bien whilst being attacked by Naval Interceptors (I have a clean rating but perhaps it's cos it's an Anarchy). Again within a minute or so.
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

And again at Bien whilst being attacked by Naval Interceptors (I have a clean rating but perhaps it's cos it's an Anarchy). Again within a minute or so.
Were they viper interceptors? Are you sure they were navy and not police? I don't have any interceptors in my oxp. Troubling that they would attack a clean player, but probably not related to this bug and most likely the product of another oxp.

I currently have no idea what could be causing the multiple occurrences of the bug you're seeing. The only navy ship capable of being in an Anarchy and launching an officer pod is the medical ship, and there's no reason for there to be more than one. I'm stumped. The original bug fix should take care of the problem as far as the player is concerned, but now I'm worried about what might be going on in the rest of the universe.

Thanks for the reports.
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

matt634 wrote:
Were they viper interceptors? Are you sure they were navy and not police? I don't have any interceptors in my oxp. Troubling that they would attack a clean player, but probably not related to this bug and most likely the product of another oxp.

I currently have no idea what could be causing the multiple occurrences of the bug you're seeing. The only navy ship capable of being in an Anarchy and launching an officer pod is the medical ship, and there's no reason for there to be more than one. I'm stumped. The original bug fix should take care of the problem as far as the player is concerned, but now I'm worried about what might be going on in the rest of the universe.

Thanks for the reports.
They weren't vipers, they were the wedged-shaped ones that are pretty easy to destroy: "Bien Naval Interceptor". Grepping my addons directory reveals that they come in the Deposed oxp: is that important?
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

Grepping my addons directory reveals that they come in the Deposed oxp: is that important?
Not to me 8). I've got my hands full with my own OXP. I think Mclane put the latest version of Deposed together, but I know nothing about it - it could be intended behavior and shouldn't have any affect on this NPC-Scoop bug.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

matt634 wrote:
Grepping my addons directory reveals that they come in the Deposed oxp: is that important?
Not to me 8). I've got my hands full with my own OXP. I think Mclane put the latest version of Deposed together, but I know nothing about it - it could be intended behavior and shouldn't have any affect on this NPC-Scoop bug.
The bien fighters are part of deposed as you found out. They are supposed to be attacking you. They are just pirates and show up on the radar as pirates/trader (yellow) and not as police (purple).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The whole thing remains a mystery. The message "You have scooped a Navy Officer!" is exclusively given by the navy-officer-pods of Galactic Navy. There are only three ships that are able to spawn such a pod when they die: The navy-lander, navy-medship and navy-shuttle. All three of them have unique roles and should only exist if created by the Galactic Navy-script. The pods have unique roles as well, and therefore could not appear as escape pods of any other ship, could they?

My only suggestion is that this is caused by the known bug that caused 1.71 to sometimes choose the wrong ship. So one of the three possible spawners is created accidentally in the first place. Or the pods themselves are created accidentally.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
My only suggestion is that this is caused by the known bug that caused 1.71 to sometimes choose the wrong ship. So one of the three possible spawners is created accidentally in the first place. Or the pods themselves are created accidentally.
This would also be my idea. This is also dependant on the number of OXP's installed. When you add a few oxp's, or remove a few, other wrong ships get chosen. When I mined boulders I had sometimes ships from the hotrods. oxp emerging in the role as splinter. With my current setup I often see the solar-ship from my UPS appearing as splinters. Neighter has splinter in its role list of cause.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

So, wouldn't this be the time to have a deeper look in the parts of the code that are responsible for creating lets say boulders and splinters?

Perhaps there is only something wrong in that part, but as boulders and splinters are created almost constantly through miners, it would be a perfect candidate for constantly spawning wrong ships.
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

When I mined boulders I had sometimes ships from the hotrods. oxp
WOW! :shock: !

I didn't know things like that were happening. Then I guess it's not so hard to believe that my navy ships or navy pods are being unintentionally spawned by the game and not my oxp. I'm going to give up the bug search then and just put in the NPC scoop fix.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
So, wouldn't this be the time to have a deeper look in the parts of the code that are responsible for creating lets say boulders and splinters?
Not really, since the code for selecting a ship of a given role has been completely rewritten for 1.72.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Ahruman wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Not really, since the code for selecting a ship of a given role has been completely rewritten for 1.72.
Okay, so let's hope that it sorts itself out in 1.72.

(And wait for the completely new bugs that will have been introduced in the process. :wink: )
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Commander McLane wrote:
(And wait for the completely new bugs that will have been introduced in the process. :wink: )
yeah aint it lovely, i almost sometimes think that people make a sport out of indentifing bugs. and then Exployt them if they can...

Bug finding Olympics in 2099, maybe.. :-D
Bounty Scanner
Number 935