Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Constellation

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Jason Whitelock
Above Average
Above Average

Constellation

Post by Jason Whitelock »

where have i picked up the rather impressive Star Trek styled constellation class starship from?

its not listed as an item added in any of the oxp's on the wiki.
Its fantastic to see but i fear it may be bombing out my PC.

Currently running 1.65 (someone REALLY needs to tell what i should be running so i can start all over again :o)

Bouncing around the nether-regions of galaxy 2 - shooting up loads of ramazan government ships (will this ever end !!!!!) and getting set upon by various basilisks and nasties (another when will it end!!!).

Anyway - have had several instances now of very eventful space flights, lots to chalk up to my current status and when i get to the station to save, a bloody Constellation appears and my whole application just stops.

At least 3 events now where the constellation has done something other than just 'fly through space', has it been the suspect for oolite crashing totally.

Any comments
SOLO
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Its from the Navy Starships OXP by Charlie. If you take this OXP out then it will go away! Oolite is backward compatable, so if you upgrade to 1.71.1 (the lastest version), you can still use you saved commanders from 1.65.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Jason Whitelock
Above Average
Above Average

Assuming removing navy starships will remove a whole host of other ships too - I like being the brunt of naval attacks and would like to keep the others (although dont rightly know what others are in the oxp)

Can i remove just one or at least reduce the liklihood of it turning up.

and of course - where do i get me 1.71.1 ???
SOLO
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Grab 1.71.1 here:-

http://developer.berlios.de/project/sho ... e_id=13778

The NavyStarships OXP only adds the Star Trek ship. You still have all the other navy ships from Military, Navy, Behemoth, Condor etc.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi Jason,

The Constitution is the only ship I know which`s subentities have subentities :) Meaning, a lot can go wrong ... if you don`t want to miss this ship and the others, my Realistic Shipyards OXP has a repaired version of the Navy Starships in it - including the "Navy Constitution" (which is probably the ship you are asking about) - which should not crash your game.

The original Navy Starships had/have a few really ugly bugs in them, and are dependent on the Orb.oxp, which is even more buggy.

Upgrading to Oolite version 1.71.1 is the smart route anyways - plenty of new stuff and better performance! And if you should want to have Realistic Shipyards, you have to upgrade, as they won`t work otherwise.

If you want to have a look at what my OXP does (i.e. if you want to have lots of additional NPC and player ships in your game) follow the link in my signature.

Hope that helps

L
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

If you are trying to improve performance, suggest you don't install Realsitic Shipyards immedatley. This OXP is a compillation of virtually every ship OXP on the Wiki. So it is like installing about 100 OXPs in one go. Try 1.71 with a selection of OXPs and see how your system handles them. The more OXPs you put in the bigger the performance hit. Putting 500 odd new ships in is unlikely to help in the performace stakes. :wink:
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

If you are trying to improve performance, suggest you don't install Realsitic Shipyards immedatley. This OXP is a compillation of virtually every ship OXP on the Wiki. So it is like installing about 100 OXPs in one go. Try 1.71 with a selection of OXPs and see how your system handles them. The more OXPs you put in the bigger the performance hit. Putting 500 odd new ships in is unlikely to help in the performace stakes.
All of the above is true, but ...

@Little Bear:

If he has used the Navy Starships oxp in its unrepaired form, then there is a performance hit every time the Constitution appears on any machine, because that OXP is buggy with double loops that can`t be resolved by the game.

So, if his performance troubles come from the problems with this OXP, what you say is still true - but the problem will not be solved by removing OXPs! The difference is just in having/not having Navy Starships in then ...

@Jason Whitelock:

If you tell us what computer speeds you have (how much RAM, GHz, single or double processor) I might be able to tell you if the Realistic Shipyards are for you.

The Realistic Shipyards minimum specs (as far as I can deduce from other people`s feedback and from my own system) seem to be:

* 2 GB RAM
* 2 GHz processor if double core or 3GHz if single processor
* Decent graphics card
* Considerable amounts of virtual memory free (say, 5 GB)

If your system has the above specs or more, go ahead and install. If not, Little Bear is right.
Jason Whitelock
Above Average
Above Average

Keen to get my hands on a later version as I also have the problem when a thorgoid carrier blow up - the frame rate drops to about 4 and I have to twiddle my thumbs for 2 or 3 minutes.

Would stop shooting them but the 2k bounty regularily pays for a new cascase mine or a cargofull of cheap computers.

Please advice:

To install - do i need both files?
[assuming i install the 'Oolite-1.71.1-test.exe' file and then 'Oolite-1.71-to-1.71.1-update.zip'

i guess i then just copy over my save file from 1.65
(although to be very honest very tempted to start from lave with a hunk of rubbish and a shallow pocket with all the gloroius oxps installed from the very beginning)
SOLO
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

To install - do i need both files?
[assuming i install the 'Oolite-1.71.1-test.exe' file and then 'Oolite-1.71-to-1.71.1-update.zip'
Erm, if you are using Oolite 1.65 at the moment, I suggest a completely new installation.

To install from scratch, you only need to install the 'Oolite-1.71.1-test.exe' file. The other one would only be needed if you had version 1.71 and wanted to upgrade it to 1.71.1, which doesn`t seem to be the case!
i guess i then just copy over my save file from 1.65
You can just copy & paste your save-files from 1.65 into 1.71.1, as those are completely compatible.
(although to be very honest very tempted to start from lave with a hunk of rubbish and a shallow pocket with all the gloroius oxps installed from the very beginning)
That`s not a bad idea at all ... have a look at your system specs also when contemplating what to put in and what not, though, if you want a decent frame rate.

With 2 GHz+ processor(s), 2 GB RAM and a good graphics card you can put in anything you like (my experience at least says that), if your system runs below those specs I would scale down.

Have fun with Oolite :)

L