Shooting an abandoned vessel in the station Aegis,

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Shooting an abandoned vessel in the station Aegis,

Post by Commander Mysenses »

would it have affected my legal status? (there were cops around too)

When I left the station I found the evidence of a little tussle. So ever the opportunist I scooped the wayward cargo and a naughty fella in an escape pod... but when I got to the last white blip on the radar I found it to be a drifting vessel, an Ionics Huntsman. I was tempted to pick it apart with my mining laser, but I was worried it would have got me an offender status (and I was hoping to pick up another Harkov mission in the next system). It had no status on my scanner (which I suppose makes sense as the occupants had vacated it), but I did not know if it would have been viewed as piracy or salvage.

It seemed a waste to just leave it there, so I nudged it all the way over to the space station and rammed it into it! This yielded a small bounty and some cargo and alloy. Would it have been safe to blast it instead?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Shooting an abandoned vessel in the station Aegis,

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander Mysenses wrote:
It seemed a waste to just leave it there, so I nudged it all the way over to the space station and rammed it into it! This yielded a small bounty and some cargo and alloy. Would it have been safe to blast it instead?
When there was a bounty as you said, you could have blasted it without problems. But the bounty you know only after the shot. If it had no bounty I wonder what the effect would have been.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

None. I am just blowing up a lot of defunct ships, in order to test the character that is supposed to be spawned. Leaves the cops totally unimpressed.

I think it is completely safe to blow up anything that shows in white on your scanner, CLASS_CARGO or CLASS_ROCK. Even if it used to be a decent trader - now he isn't anymore; it's just an empty hull. So everybody will be thankful if you clean up the space garbage. :wink:
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

Thanks for that, useful for next time.

It was kinda fun shunting it into the spacestation tho'! :D
Shame I couldn't shunt it in through the docking bay and claim salvage rights. :?
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Has anybody written the Remora OXP yet?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Not to my knowledge.