Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Support for analogue joystick...?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Support for analogue joysticks...?

Mmmm yes I think that would be well good!
67%
Er no that's a ridiculous idea, and would spoil the whole game.
13%
Somewhere in between...
20%

Total votes: 15

Pooks
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Support for analogue joystick...?

Post by Pooks »

It would be nice to be able to use an analogue joystick with the game, instead of just the keyboard, with the ability to a assign keys to joystick buttons like different views for the hat switch. Also throttle control and rudder with joysticks that come with it would be good.

Oh yes and talking about rudders, a little bit of yaw would be nice (as mentioned in another post). Just a little bit mind, for small corrections like you get on traditional flight sims.
goat
Average
Average

Post by goat »

I used to play with an analogue joystick on the BBC Micro version. It was rockin' to play that way.
"Guard your love of disco, monkey poet."
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Re: Support for analogue joystick...?

Post by aegidian »

Pooks wrote:
It would be nice to be able to use an analogue joystick with the game, instead of just the keyboard, with the ability to a assign keys to joystick buttons like different views for the hat switch.
I'm not about to code my way through direct HID support - although it's a possibility that could be incorporated especially if someone was to work their way through the HID code in Pangaea's book on game programming for Mac OS X and add it to Oolite.

However if you use USB Overdrive (or similar) with your joystick you can assign mouse movement to the stick, and simply switch on mouse control of roll and pitch in Oolite. If you went on to assign the view buttons to your hat switches then you'd have what you want without me having to lift a coding finger.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Otis Wildflower
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Otis Wildflower »

BTW, any way to moderate or rescale the directional kybd repeat speed?

I tend to overcontrol wildly, and it's painful in dogfights...
Pooks
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Pooks »

I tried USB Overdrive as you suggested, but unfortunetely pitch and roll don't centre when you centre the joystick, you have to make an input in the opposite direction to move the controls back, which makes the ship really hard to control.

No worries though, I'm beginning to get used to using the mouse.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Take it from an old timer, the keyboard is best!!

RH use up down and side to side cursor keys for dogfights

LH middle finger on A for firing laser, leaves forefinger to hit E when aggressive missiles launched, particularly on a jousting run!

TGHC
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Pooks wrote:
I tried USB Overdrive as you suggested, but unfortunetely pitch and roll don't centre when you centre the joystick, you have to make an input in the opposite direction to move the controls back, which makes the ship really hard to control.

No worries though, I'm beginning to get used to using the mouse.
Useful tip - Right-click recenters the controls.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Commander Gonzo
Poor
Poor

Post by Commander Gonzo »

TGHC wrote:
LH middle finger on A for firing laser, leaves forefinger to hit E when aggressive missiles launched, particularly on a jousting run!
I use index on "e", middle on "w" and "s", and ring on "a". That way I can adjust my speed as well.
The thirty tons of narcotics are for a heart condition, now get back in the passenger berth, this is bat country!
goat
Average
Average

Post by goat »

I use the old BBC micro keys. Old habits die exceeding hard.
"Guard your love of disco, monkey poet."
Grey
Poor
Poor

Post by Grey »

Hm...i have to admit i use the mouse and fullscreen mode, although not correct from a purist POV i´m just not able to control the ship with cursor keys (using the old fashioned compact iMac apple keyboard).

I would love to be able to use the mouse when Oolite is in non-fullscreen tho...a modern aero_sih joystick would be cool too!