Demoships

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Demoships

Post by Selezen »

I don't know if it's really a bug as such, but here goes...

When I'm developing and testing stuff, I use the Demoships process to check how everything looks. To do this quickly I remove all the entries from Oolite's own demoships.plist file.

Up to 1.65 this worked OK, but since installing 1.71 it seems that removing all the entries from the game's demoships.plist causes the game to crash.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

As an alternative if you re-name your OXP zzzzzzmyoxp.oxp then the ships in its own demoships get displayed last. If you hit left arrow as soon as the first ship comes up it jumps you to your ship without having go though the parade of native ships.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Selezen wrote:
When I'm developing and testing stuff, I use the Demoships process to check how everything looks. To do this quickly I remove all the entries from Oolite's own demoships.plist file.

Up to 1.65 this worked OK, but since installing 1.71 it seems that removing all the entries from the game's demoships.plist causes the game to crash.
You could just leave one entry in the original demoships.plist. On my computer it works very well. At least in v1.71 - not tested in v1.71.1 yet.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Demoships

Post by Frame »

Selezen wrote:
I don't know if it's really a bug as such, but here goes...

Yeah it will crash, happend to me to, use arrow keys left(back) and right(forward) to quickly go throug Demoships.

if you keep all the original ships in the Oolite default demoships.plist you just have to press the left key once(back)to see the last ship in your OXP´s Demoships.plist
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Okay, these are workarounds, but a crash is a serious bug. So that should be fixed.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Commander McLane wrote:
Okay, these are workarounds, but a crash is a serious bug. So that should be fixed.
Well i can answer that one for Ahruman, Messing with the buildin plists is not a thing you are supposed todo ;-), unless you understand the Consequenses of doing so. which you have learned now :-)

Cant recall the thread where he answerd me that, and search is, yeah well you know how thats like here....

So just keep a single entry or more or add your ship to be displayed fairly fast.. (when messing with the build in demoship.plist)

Also its a good procedure not to mess with the build in plists as you cant be sure if its your OXP or the messing with the build in plists that causes a crash..

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Frame wrote:
Well i can answer that one for Ahruman,
Oh, really?
Messing with the buildin plists is not a thing you are supposed todo ;-), unless you understand the Consequenses of doing so.
This is true, but crashing is bad. I’m currently working on refactoring the handling of shipdata.plist, shipyard.plist and demoships.plist. Among other things, this will ensure that there’s at least one ship in the demo list, that all the ships in the shipyard list actually exist and that there are no unresolved like_ship references. Other features include improved performance and a cure for the common cold.

It will also introduce shipdata-override.plist and shipyard-override.plist to change values in shipdata/shipyard entries without having to replace them completely (particularly useful for the recent fads of localization and price-twiddling).
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Ahruman wrote:
and a cure for the common cold.
In which case you will be rich ^^
Bounty Scanner
Number 935