Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Got m'Tiger!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

@ cybertiger: If you're working on the Tiger again, have a look at it's missile_launch_position. In all encounters with hostile Tigers I ever had, its missiles exploded instantly after launch. Either he kills them with his own ECM (but why and how should he do that?) or their launch position is such that they at once collide with the ship itself.

And as for external views: Feel free to use a suitable set from the shipdata in Oolite 1.70. They also feature a new naming convention, different from the one in 1.65. The CobraIII-set should be a reasonable starting point.

Oh, and welcome back! :D
*cat
Dangerous
Dangerous

missiles

Post by *cat »

Ahh, I noticed that too (re exploding missiles). Maybe I'll experiment with the launch position in my copy of the ship files and see if it makes a difference. Those wasted bombs are expensive! :(
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Are you sure that it is a missile position problem?

I currently run an Imperial Courier and often my missiles explode on launching without causing any damage.

I thought it was a game bug.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Missiles that explode during launch phase never do any damage. They take some time to arm.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Cmdr James wrote:
Missiles that explode during launch phase never do any damage. They take some time to arm.
I didn't know that!

Thanks
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
*cat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Maybe it's the monks?

Post by *cat »

I've just done some missile launch experiments from my Tiger and they're working fine (ECM-hardened).
The time I noticed them all exploding was when I was trying to do my public duty by taking out a Blank Monk GUnship that was harassing some poor debtor right in front of a station.
Have they got some kind of super-ECM? Even with the "help" of the local system vessels and the hapless borrower, we could put so much as a dent in that monk's iron arse.
ahh, "energy 1400" (and I think there may be a few subentities, each with big energy too).
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

The monks' ships' total uberness spoiled them to me, and I said so at the time, but that's what LB wanted when he wrote them... it grated on me so much I eventually took out the OXP...
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

I've just tried a little experiment and changed the 2nd parameter in missile_launch_position from 20.4 to 40.5.

I was able to launch the missile.
cybertiger
Above Average
Above Average

Post by cybertiger »

When I made the Tiger originally I seem to remember experimenting with the missile launch position to get it as close to the ship as possible, as this was some time ago and the collision detection has been improved since then, it's not surprising there has been a bit of bitrot.