Oolite and Wide screen monitors

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Oolite and Wide screen monitors

Post by Ark »

Does anybody from the forum have experience with oolite running in a wide screen monitor?

I am thinking of buying one but I do not want to end up seeing the planets in the shape of an egg
Ace Garp
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ace Garp »

I've run Oolite on my PowerBook which has a widescreen monitor, and everything looks fine.
The planets are round, just like they are on my non-widescreen monitor.
I think that this should be taken care of my the graphics card and the OS, and so distortion should not occur.
I don't know if this is the way things work, but it seems to be so with almost all programs.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Assuming the screen has a 1:1 pixel aspect ratio, which it almost certainly does, a wide screen works just like a wide window: you get the same width of field and lose some height. I do most of my testing on an 8:5 ratio screen.

Compensating for stretched display modes and providing the same overall amount of vision (a constant solid angle) are on my to-not-do-before-MNSR list.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

I'm running Oolite with 1920px x 1200px with an Nvidia GeForce 7950 Go, it looks very good. Your graphics card driver does the rest.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

I am thinking of buying one but I do not want to end up seeing the planets in the shape of an egg
On a mac in windowed mode I can stretch the window within certain limits. Probably it also works on Windows. When you stretch the window you have an impression how it looks in a wide screen: undistorted.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Thanks for your replies guys!!
Ahruman I am not asking (or implying) anything. You have already done too much for oolite.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

I have just bought a 22" wide screen monitor. With the resolution of 1680 x 1050 the game looks perfect. No distortion at all

Oh man !!! Now I can die happy :D :D
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I've been running for 2 years on a 19" LCD widescreen 1440 x 900 and it's a dream.

The real improvement was changing from a old CRT monitor to a flat screen.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

TGHC wrote:
The real improvement was changing from a old CRT monitor to a flat screen.
So is my laptop - and because of it, I can only play Oolite at night... Any glare is enough for me not to see the ships until they're real close!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

With my old CRt monitor I used to play at night with the room lights off to avoid screen reflections and had a USB bendy stalk LED to light the keyboard!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

TGHC wrote:
With my old CRt monitor I used to play at night with the room lights off to avoid screen reflections and had a USB bendy stalk LED to light the keyboard!
Blimey I have a doppleganger!
I still have to do that. Much nicer when I can play at work on the nice LCD screens. Playing it through the lecture room projector is pretty neato too. 8)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

TGHC wrote:
This is one of the occasions when I really love the background-illuminated keyboard of my Mac! :D
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Commander McLane wrote:
TGHC wrote:
This is one of the occasions when I really love the background-illuminated keyboard of my Mac! :D
Now that's a neat gizmo, can you get these as a stand alone PC compatible keyboard or is it a laptop you use?
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

@TGHC
look here
or e(vil)bay
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Thanks matey I may well get one, has anybody else had expereience with these, are they worth it or is it just a gimmick.