System Redux

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

elite
Deadly
Deadly

System Redux

Post by elite »

I have just installed 1.71 and all seems well, except for the main planets.

I have the System Redux oxp and with 1.70 the new textured planets covered the main planet completly.

But with 1.71 I am now getting the cloud cover grid back with the textured planet underneath.

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Just to be sure: You are using the correct version of System Redux with Oolite v1.71, right? CaptKev had released a version of SR that would work with 1.70 and maybe this is what is the problem.

Also system specs whenever a problem is reported are desirable. Are there any errors in stderr.txt? Finally, the first screen shot does not look like 1.70 to me. The title bar reads SDL_app, meaning that this is 1.68 or earlier.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

@elite, I seem to remember that you had this problem with the standard planets in 1.70, could you run Oolite without System Redux and check if the planets are displaying correctly?
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
elite
Deadly
Deadly

Post by elite »

CaptKev wrote:
@elite, I seem to remember that you had this problem with the standard planets in 1.70, could you run Oolite without System Redux and check if the planets are displaying correctly?
I'll try that.

Yes you are correct. Because of my crappy graphics card I see main planets with a grid all over them. I can live with it but that's why I started the idea about the textured planets in the first place so that the whole planet was covered with a textured one.
It seems now that the textured ones have shrunk and are now not covering the whole main planet, or the main planets are now bigger.
elite
Deadly
Deadly

Post by elite »

another_commander wrote:
Just to be sure: You are using the correct version of System Redux with Oolite v1.71, right? CaptKev had released a version of SR that would work with 1.70 and maybe this is what is the problem.
Yep got that one.
another_commander wrote:
Finally, the first screen shot does not look like 1.70 to me. The title bar reads SDL_app, meaning that this is 1.68 or earlier.
Yes that was a screen shot from 1.68 (taken from the original thread I started about textured planets) but the textured planets worked fine in 1.70. Just didn't have a screen shot taken from 1.70.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

In script.js change change all;

Code: Select all

if (oolite.compareVersion("1.71") == 1)
to this;

if (oolite.compareVersion("1.71") != 1)
and vice-versa
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

elite, when you use the standard planets, do you get one layer of the grid effect, or two?
elite
Deadly
Deadly

Post by elite »

Ahruman wrote:
elite, when you use the standard planets, do you get one layer of the grid effect, or two?
Well here is the strange thing.

From a distance I only see the cloud grid. But once I am close, usally about station range, I see both planet and cloud grid.
elite
Deadly
Deadly

Post by elite »

CaptKev wrote:
In script.js change change all;

if (oolite.compareVersion("1.71") == 1)
to this;

if (oolite.compareVersion("1.71") != 1)
and vice-versa
Ok will try that.

EDIT:
OK did that and it now works fine, but only from a distance. Once I get close to the planet the cloud grid gradually breaks through the planet texture until it is all grid.
However once I am very very close to the planet it looks fine again.

It seems that the cloud grid only breaks through the texture at a certain distance.
Damm stupid graphics card lol.
elite
Deadly
Deadly

Post by elite »

I just found out what is happening, but have no idea how to fix it. It's probably a graphic card thing. :roll:

Anyway, I adjusted the planetinfo file to move the textured planet away from the main planet so they were side by side.

I traveled away from both planets and at a certain distance the textured one disappears then it reappear again.
It's seems that between distance x and y, the texture disappears.

Also the texture disappears as I get close to the planet and only appears again once I am right on top of it.

This is why I see the cloud/main planet grid because I am somewhere between the x and y marks and the texture isn't there, hence seeing the grid.

Then I see the grid again when much nearer the planet ie. when leaving the station but the texture appears again as I fly close to the planet.

I have tried all sorts of screen res and also tried the lower res planet textures, but they still disappear betwen x and y.

Very annoying but I can't see anyway around it. At least I know it's not a bug or anything. It obviously down to the graphics card.

Very strange though that the texture isn't displayed between x and y distance. :?