Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Pitch/roll too sensitive

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

bulrush
Competent
Competent

Pitch/roll too sensitive

Post by bulrush »

I use the keyboard on the PC version of Oolite (1.65) and also have found the pitch and roll controls to be too sensitive. I found these entries in shipdata.plist:
<key>max_flight_pitch</key>
<real>1</real>
<key>max_flight_roll</key>
<real>2</real>

I thought they might control sensitivity but I don't know if I adjust them up or down to reduce sensitivity. As a beginner I actually do want my ship to move like a large mounting. It actually makes sighting/firing on ships easier if I don't overshoot my target.

I'll give it a try this weekend and see what happens.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Yes, they should have some impact on the sensitivity. What control method are you using? If you adjust the numbers down, then the sensitivity should be reduced. Have a look at the information for different ships to see the effects they have. The Boa is (I think) the slowest ship, so have a look at that one.

Are you going to post a separate thread for every single question and statement about the game? ;-) Could be a good thing to compile into a beginner's guide!
bulrush
Competent
Competent

Post by bulrush »

Selezen wrote:
Are you going to post a separate thread for every single question and statement about the game? ;-)
Well, yes. I wanted each of my topics to related to the subject line. It makes it less confusing for others scanning through the subject lines. Also, it reduces "thread drift."
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

The search facility is pretty good if you search the message text rather than the title, but hey do what you feel works best for you.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Could be a problem of your graphics card as well. The notion of huge movements for small keystrokes can derive from a small framerate. For me the game was unplayable on my former computer (original iBook), because I got a framerate of only 3 or 4 frames per second. That meant that pressing any key very briefly already gave me a full quarter or even half second of pitching/rolling. I couldn't control anything by this. :(

If you press SHIFT-F while playing (presumably in flight), your current framerate will be displayed in the upper left corner of your screen (FPS). Anything above 20 allows for playing, but the real fun starts only at 50.
bulrush
Competent
Competent

Post by bulrush »

Well, here are my Windows PC specs:
- Gateway GT5056 specs
Geforce 8600 (don't recall which one) video card, 256 video ram
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 3800+, 2GHZ speed
1GB system ram

But I'll check frame rate this weekend.