Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

hack save file?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

bulrush
Competent
Competent

hack save file?

Post by bulrush »

I have Oolite 1.65 for Windows XP. I first played this game on the Commodore 64 in 1983. I was never good at docking. I always had my friend (it was his game and his C64) do the docking until I had enough cash to buy a docking computer.

Is there a way to hack the save file (which is XML) to add a docking computer? I noticed there is a checksum in the save file, which I assume is there to prevent hacking, thus my question.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi Bulrush, welcome to the boards! Just to warn you, there may be some honks and hoots of outrage at your question... I'll try to pre-empt some of them: Tush! Tut! Tsk! For shame! etc.

Now that's out the way, I can't actually help you with your query -- you'll just have to hope that some more astute forum member drops by who can (and who is prepared to!) :wink:

However, I can reveal that docking has got easier since the old days. There is now a buoy, floating between the station and the planet, which marks the ideal place to start your docking run. If you fly to the buoy, stop, and then turn around to point at the station, you'll find yourself lined up perfectly. Then it's just a matter of holding your nerve and matching the rotation!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

1: Find your save game file. It's in <oolite folder>\oolite.app\oolite-saves
2: Find the line <key>extra_equipment</key. Under this will be a list of the equipment you have.
3: Add the following within this section:

Code: Select all

<key>EQ_DOCK_COMP</key>
<true/>
4: Note that the code may already exist, but with <false/> as the second line. In that case, change it.

Ta daaa! You are now the proud owner of a docking computer!
bulrush
Competent
Competent

Post by bulrush »

Thanks, Selezen. I did see that entry and wondered if the checksum took that field into account when adding up the checksum. But I'll give it a try.

Also, to ease your discomfort, I do enjoy a challenge, but if I continually and consistently fail at docking (i.e. I have no talent for docking whatsoever) the game is not fun. That is the only point where I would cheat. I do like the idea of a trading game though.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

Docking is much easier than on BBC Elite (for example) because you can see much more than a spinning rectangular hole.

It's just a case of being patient to line everything up then fly in full speed :)

You'll find that docking computers don't really help when docking with rock hermits or other ships so it's worth learning how to do it.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

No worries, newbie. One thing to try is lining up using the little satellite thing that's right in front of the station. It's a docking bouy, and if you fly right up to it (but don't hit it) then stop and spin round to face the station, you will be perfectly lined up for docking.

Just fly right ahead and you should be fine. You can even go faster than the recommended 'dead slow' speed and still dock as long as the docking bay is horizontal as you fly through it. I usually dock at about half speed...

Remember that GalCop don't mind if you take practice runs at Lave Station..

I don't think the checksum takes the docking computer into account.

Enjoy the show.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Alternative for hacking Docking Computers

Post by Lestradae »

Hi bulrush,

welcome! 8)

May I suggest an alternative solution to hacking your savegame: If you use the OXP (both versions will work) you see in my signature (yes, it`s mine :oops: ) there will be the possibility of immediately buying a new ship that`s cheaper (and less good) than the the Cobra MkIII; sometimes these new ships come with docking computers pre-installed!

Could this be an alternative to you manually editing your savegame? It would be an in-game solution without hacking or cheating required.

Have fun with Oolite :)

L
bulrush
Competent
Competent

Post by bulrush »

A very big part of my docking problem is the touchy controls. I tap a key but the ship moves way more than I want to. Hence my other thread about changing the sensitivity of the keys.

But thanks for the suggestions.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Docking in Oolite is much easier than Elite was on the good old C64, so it's worth giving it a try, and anyway if you become fugitive your docking computer is disabled and you have to dock manually, so it's worth the small effort to learn it in Oolite.

A good tip for manually docking safely is as said before, line up from the navigation buoy and fly towards the docking bay, trying to dock slowly is tricky, so when when you are fairly close, hit the W key or injectors and you will shoot in without touching the sides, a bit like tossing a sausage down an alleyway :wink:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

i must say that i've docked more times than i've thrown sausages down alleyways!
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

TGHC wrote:
you will shoot in without touching the sides, a bit like tossing a sausage down an alleyway :wink:
I thought that was a euphemism for another sort of docking! :lol:
bulrush
Competent
Competent

Post by bulrush »

And that reminds me of a Family Guy scene:

[Stewie making small talk with some hookers.]
Stewie: So tell me, is there any tread left on the tires or is it more like throwing a sausage down a hallway?
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Commander Mysenses wrote:
TGHC wrote:
you will shoot in without touching the sides, a bit like tossing a sausage down an alleyway :wink:
Well yes, when it's spelt with a C.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Ace Garp
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ace Garp »

TGHC wrote:
Commander Mysenses wrote:
TGHC wrote:
Well yes, when it's spelt with a C.
LOL.
Thanks for that!
:lol:
gildenman
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Alternative for hacking Docking Computers

Post by gildenman »

Lestradae wrote:
Could this be an alternative to you manually editing your savegame? It would be an in-game solution without hacking or cheating required.
L
I've just discovered OOlite and your RS OXP.
One thing I noticed is that following your instructions for moving a save game from basic OOlite to RS OXP, you recommend editing the save game to adjust credits so that the player does not cheat (by gaining free credits) or lose credits due to the differing ship prices.
How do you suggest this is performed? When I tried to compensate for the differing prices, the game output 'POSSIBLE CHEAT' and then a trumble appeared bouncing around the screen?
Cheer.s