How long until we can 3D print the ships in Oolite?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

How long until we can 3D print the ships in Oolite?

Post by Wolfwood »

I imagine that day is very near, indeed:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl ... /07/210205
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Sweet! 8)
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Sweeeeeet! Now that will be something to write home about.

In the meantime, paper models are the way to go - check out http://mackayj.doosh.net/shipnet.html

:-)
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Selezen wrote:
Sweeeeeet! Now that will be something to write home about.

In the meantime, paper models are the way to go - check out http://mackayj.doosh.net/shipnet.html

:-)
All you need to do is get a printer that can print onto plasti-card and you can have more robust models....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

1: print out on thin paper.

2: glue onto plasticard.

Jeez, do I need to do your thinking for you? ;-)

Seriously though, there are printers now that can handle the thinner plasticards going through them, but it's whether or not the ink will stick that you have to worry about. In my experience printing out onto thin paper then using a pin to mark corners works, then join the pin pricks up with a steel ruler and a sharp knife. Cut each panel out separately though and don't use existing 'tabs' to stick things together - just glue the edges with poly cement.

I have the plasticard parts for an Adder somewhere in storage... Must try and find them again, or at least recreate them. I even had clear acetate for the front 'window'. My plan was to make a lighted model of an Adder, but as usual other things took precedence... Still want to do it though. If I try again I think an Adder with its wings extended would be lovely...
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

there's already places that will 3D sculpt from your 3D model files - was a guy posted it on the Wing Commander forums a ways back, had some little models of the Tiger's Claw etc. cuts the shape into a resin block.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

One place to look might be places that make clear plastic awards. I saw a programme on it once, and they have gizmos that can carve a shape out of an acetate block and then the workers can create a clear acetate shell around it and turn it into an award...

I have an application that can turn a 3D model into a paper model template. Not quite got enough cash to buy one of those things that Wolfie is talking about though...
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Well, if that GNU license version actually comes true (as in fully functional self-replicating 3D printer), I imagine the price will be very affordable indeed. :)
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Self replicating? Like it can reproduice itself? Isn't that one of teh conditions for life itself? This machine will create copies of ITSELF?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH!!! The machines will take over!
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

they might be able to self-replicate but until they can change their own toner cartridges etc, i think we're safe.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Would it be possible to get a 3D print of Catherine Zeta-Jones :wink:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Selezen wrote:
Self replicating? Like it can reproduice itself? Isn't that one of teh conditions for life itself? This machine will create copies of ITSELF?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH!!! The machines will take over!
Indeed, from the news:

"The team, which is spread over New Zealand, the UK and the US, develops and gives away the designs for its much cheaper machine, which also has self-copying capabilities. It wants to make the machine available to anybody — including small communities in the developing world, as well as people in the developed world, says Olliver. Accordingly, the RepRap machine is distributed, at no cost, under the GNU (General Public License)."
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Well, if you read more of the thread linked in the first post you will also find out that the machines are still quite a long way from taking over. "Replicating its own plastic casing with none of the really important parts inside" and "self-replicating" are not quite the same thing, in my very humble opinion.

At least the biologial evolution has not only surpassed the point of "creating empty skins with neither bones, internal organs, blood vessels and a brain", it never actually was at that point, because from there it would have gone nowhere!
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

"At least the biologial evolution has not only surpassed the point of "creating empty skins with neither bones, internal organs, blood vessels and a brain", "

work w/ a few people who fit that description mind...

still, be canny if you could do that, just get skin - easy way to make some lush leather coats.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Killer Wolf wrote:
still, be canny if you could do that, just get skin - easy way to make some lush leather coats.
Hooded all-in-one leather jumpsuits, with integral boots and gloves, even! Just cut out the face, put a zip from chin to belly-button, and you're away. If you grew a male skin you'd even have a built-in sporran of sorts for keeping loose change. You'd need to sew a button on the end, of course.